New Mid-Atlantic Subgroup Forming

Hi all. This is something I talked to gonnif about at the conference, so now I’d like to put it before everyone else.

First off, the conference was awesome! And though I only got to meet you crazies for a few days, it feels weird that now me and Jen are home alone… and that I’m unlikely to see any of you until a year from now.

But why does it need to be like that?

I’d like to gauge interest about starting a regional sub-group for the Mid-Atlantic. I’m mainly thinking the greater Philadelphia area (as I’m organizing this, and that’s where I live). However, I’m calling it mid-Atlantic as this is an inclusive thing- the only think preventing anyone from being a part is your willingness to drive.

So here’s what I’m envisioning. We could get some people in the region who’d be interested in periodic get-togethers. They could be networking events so we can share advice, personal statements, any info, etc. They could be social- 'cause hey, I did actually enjoy meeting you all at the conference in addition to the professional aspects (which I thought were amazing). The format could be potluck at one of our homes, or going out somewhere, or whatever else someone suggests.

Of course, this is all up for discussion if I can find other people interested. By interested, I mean that you’d definitely attempt to attend roughly half a dozen events per year as described above. Gonnif told me to find at least three people to start an official group. Me and Jen make two. Practically, I think half a dozen or so people would be a better critical mass.

So open discussion: are you interested? If so, what would you want in such a group?

I could be your third, if you will have me…In fact, I am going to be discussing putting together a regional conference sometime next year leading into the larger conference at the next board meeting.

Glad everyone had a good time. Keep posting.

I think it’s a great idea. I am just south of the Greater Pittsburgh area, about 4-4.5 hours away from you, so definitely within reasonable driving distance. We have family out your way, in fact my wife and I will be attending her aunt’s wedding a stone’s throw from Philly this weekend. I haven’t been to a conference yet but next year we will definitely be attending.

• RomanGrace Said:
I think it's a great idea. I am just south of the Greater Pittsburgh area, about 4-4.5 hours away from you, so definitely within reasonable driving distance. We have family out your way, in fact my wife and I will be attending her aunt's wedding a stone's throw from Philly this weekend. I haven't been to a conference yet but next year we will definitely be attending.

Keep in mind that if enough people are interested, there's nothing marrying us to Philadelphia. It's simply that if I plan a shindig, I'm going to plan it near me. But I figure that all of NJ as well as the metro areas for NYC and Pittsburgh are definitely within a reasonable distance, as is possibly DC. We could easily rotate get-togethers from one metro area to the next so long as there's a local willing to furnish a place to meet, private or public.

Josh and I from Examkrackers are interested as well. We are both in the Philadelphia area and really enjoyed meeting some of you in Las Vegas, for the OPM convention. Keep us updated …we have tons of resources for MCAT discussions/ etc and would love to assist…and make some new friends!!

Talk soon,

Megan and Josh

Examkrackers Coordinators

This is Josh from the conference…I, too, am from the Mid-Atlantic region…I would be interested in possibly meeting up with you all as well. It was nice to meet all of you this past week in Vegas…talk to you soon.

What metro area?

Philadelphia…I live about 40 minutes west in Pottstown…whereabouts are you located?

Currently in CNJ, but probably moving more to the Philly area soon. Not sure which side of the river.

Sounds great, keep me in the loop and when you have a meeting, I will try to make it and see what I ideas we can come up with. At some point I have to have a “formal” request to form a group so that you can use the name, logo, etc. I am not forming chapters as they have legal implications and expectations.

I would like to use the local groups to represent us at small premed club meetings, local health recruiting fairs, etc. In addition to have a regional one day conference, and additional all day recruiting event may be in order .

I am open to any an all ideas as long as they keep with in the mission of OPM

I think we can hold off on the formal stuff for the time being. Not to suggest that anyone here wouldn’t come through in real life, but translating enthusiasm to actual production always suffers loss in the process. Why don’t we try to get 1-2 events together first just to see that people actually attend and re-attend?

I’d offer my place, but me and Jen are trying to find a spot to move to so I’m hesitant to offer my place for a pot luck more than a week or so in advance. Otherwise, I think we’d be willing. Of course, we have numbers such that a coffee shop would work just as easily. My only concern is getting a substantial list of things to do/discuss if people will be driving multiple hours each way to/from such an event.

If you are planning to come to the philly area, let me know and I can help find a spot. During that time, we can discuss the Northeast Regional Conference as UMDNJ-SOM has expressed a great deal of interest in holding it at their facility.

I think that the first meeting should be more of a meet and greet kind of thing before having formal planning. That is just my opinion.

Seems we have enough people interested to see how something would go. So here’s what I suggest.

Let’s choose a date that we’ll have some sort of get-together later this summer. Informal. I can potentially host it, depending on the digs me and Jen fall into next. If not, I know Philly well enough to set up an alternative locale for us.

If there’s anyone who’d like to come who’s a REAL newbie, I’d lean towards a public setting. All due respect, I’d be a bit leary taking someone into my place who joined in the last week and has two posts. Nothing personal, of course.

I’d say let’s plan for this to be at least a month from now. Not because it requires planning per se, but because it would give more people time to make arrangements and more time for people to become aware of it.

Thoughts?

cool

I too would be very much interested in this. Haven’t been able to go to any of the conferences yet.

I am about 1/2 hour from Philly. Would love the support. Totally not feeling the support at another site. I’m so discouraged with it. . .it’s really not worth my time.

• jl lin Said:
I too would be very much interested in this. Haven't been able to go to any of the conferences yet.

I am about 1/2 hour from Philly. Would love the support. Totally not feeling the support at another site. I'm so discouraged with it. . .it's really not worth my time.

I felt the same way elsewhere. I only ever posted once at SDN and thought I did get good feedback... but there's too many sharks there. Not sure if that's where you were or not, though.

I'm definitely feeling Gabe's idea of a meet-and-greet. There are enough people who seem interested to pull off this kind of thing, but it would still need to be a group effort and it's going to totally be a deal where it's what we end up making of it. I think it's worth it to get everyone together in a social environment to feel out each other's energies. I think by the end of it, we'll know if we're up for more or not.

Sounds like we can get about six people or so. My thought is to find a bar where we can get a booth at the back away from the hubbub of the happy hour crowd. I know a few candidates around Center City that would work out well.

I received my schedule and most of the time, I am on until 5:30, except every 4th day where I am on call until 10:30pm. Let me know what day(s) you are planning and I will double check my schedule.

I was thinking perhaps the first full week of August. Can we have a show of hands who would prefer weekdays, who prefers weekends? I work all week in the my lab, but can easily leave early if I have something to do. So to me, any weekday evening is preferable, after 6 if a Monday or Tuesday.

weekdays are good for me.

How does August 1st/2nd look for anyone/everyone?