new prereqs?

Will schools increase the number of prereqs in response to the new MCAT? If yes, when do you think such changes will start taking place?

Do you think that such changes will make the application process/admissions even more challenging for nontrads?

The school I’m interested in(UAMS)is implementing the new requirements for the class starting in 2016. Here is there current list:

2 semesters of Biology

2 semesters of Chemistry

2 semesters of Organic Chemistry (w/labs)

1 semester of Genetics (starting 2013)

2 semesters of Math or Calculus 1

2 semesters of Physics

2 semesters of English

New requirements will be:

2 semesters of Biology

3 semesters of Chemistry (to include Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry)

1 semester of Genetics

2 semesters of Physics

2 semesters of English

1 semester of Statistics

2 semesters of Social Sciences (Psychology and Sociology recommended)

So, you may wind up taking a few extra courses to meet the pre-reqs versus what is currently required(Biochem and Statistics seem to jump out to me).

All they did was add Stats, Genetics, and Social Science. I don’t see any of the “replacement” they were talking about. The “3 semesters of Chemistry” really translates into 5 semesters. 2 of Gen. Chem., 2 of Orgo, and 1 of Biochem. I thought they were going to drop Physics completely.

• AuroraBorealis Said:
Will schools increase the number of prereqs in response to the new MCAT?

Good question. The pre-reqs should not have anything to do with the new MCAT. However, I suspect the two will eventually achieve lock-step (or lockstep).
  • Dullhead Said:
  • AuroraBorealis Said:
Will schools increase the number of prereqs in response to the new MCAT?

Good question. The pre-reqs should not have anything to do with the new MCAT. However, I suspect the two will eventually achieve lock-step (or lockstep).

My wife and I attended three Open Houses at three separate schools, in three different states and they all said that same thing, "Our prereqs will change to match those of the new MCAT." To which my wife turned to me and asked or more like stated "You will be done with your prereqs before these changes go into effect...correct!"

Life with ALWAYS get harder.

I know guys who want to “sue the bar” for it getting harder to pass…it blows the mind that people are this stupid but I swear to God I hear Deans talking about it since it throws off their stats…yup.

I expect medical school and everything else in life will be the same way, the longer we wait the more we will have to do for it.

The 2015 MCAT is definitely driving changes in premed requirements, and adding to them. Undergrad premed advisors and post-bac program directors are vexed by the increase in requirements since it places even more of a burden on premed students. The additional courses are basically the ones described in previous posts, and will include biochemistry (previously not on the MCAT), statistics, psychology, and sociology. Premed students should plan accordingly. Some med schools are only specifying the last in the sequence of courses as requirements; but you still have to take the lower-level courses to get to that end point. In addition, there will be four sections of the MCAT, not three, with the addition of the “Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills” section. Bottom line: the new MCAT is driving a lot of changes at both the undergrad and med school levels. Here’s a link to info about the new MCAT:

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/266 006/data…

Apologies for resurrecting a month old forum topic but to clarify…

Even if there are some of us that will be applying for the application year of 2015 and we are set to take the the “old” MCAT this year we would still be required to take the “new” pre-requisites if applying for a 2016 matriculation, correct???

Just trying to get my ducks in a row here.

Gracias!

Good question. I hope not, but looks like a strong possibility. I guess it should not matter too much to me because I already have taken 2 semesters of Psych, 1 sociology, 1 anthropology. So I would have to do Biochem/Genetics, I guess. I wish I could have applied this year or next year to reduce the amount of bleep that will hit in/after 2015.

I’d guess that some schools will likely be flexible for a few years during the transition. The best advice is the usual one: call the schools you target and ask.

You can also do like Dullhead and have some future pre-reqs out of the way if that is a possibility.

The best advice I can give is to check the Medical School Admission Requirements book or the MSAR online to see the specific course requirements at individual med schools. It’s a lot easier to check there and do quick comparisons than to surf the websites of multiple schools and dig down to get to the list of prereqs. The MSAR is updated in the spring each year for the upcoming application cycle. The 2014 edition was just released and here is a link: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/req uirement…

The trend seems to be that schools are requiring more, not less, although some schools only specify the end course in a series (giving applicants leeway as to how to fulfill the courses that lead up to that end course).

I hope this helps.

Liza