New to site, looking to establish friends and networks

Greetings to all,

again!

Welcome, Maddux! There are lots of interesting stories on here - do some browsing as you have time.

That’s Emergency! Yes I have already read quite a few of these inspirational topics and stories. Is there a bio section per chance where people share their backgrounds and routes to the medical school path? Or is it just on a per-posted basis like what I have posted?

There’s no “bio” section per se, although it’s not a bad idea.

Thanks for the heads up. I just was curious since there was a diary section. Anyhow, I am very glad to have found this site and will use it’s resources effectively.

By the way, beautiful baby! What is your non-trad story? If you feel like telling.

I’m having some issues finding threads I wanted to share, but here are a few that might help you get acquainted

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t… - HS dropout to surgeon - not a regular poster, but a good story

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t… - For those 40+…

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t… - an inspirational thing

We should be able to dig up Amy’s story, and OMD’s, and Mary’s, and Linda’s, and…

Hey Amy, I like that sticky/FAQ idea of yours

Adam,

Thank you greatly for taking time to dig up those links for me. It was very inspiring and surely inspiring to others as well.

Just out of curiousity, can you offer any additional recommendations for me that I can or could do to appeal more to the admissions council. Other than the obvious of competitive grades, MCAT scores? In my original post I had stated all of my clinical and employed hospital experience.

Most of all thank you and Emergency for making me feel very welcome here! I plan on being around for quite some time, and hopefuly active and able to contribute to the betterment of the site.

Welcome, Maddux .

I can’t give any specifics right now, except to say “do what makes your eyes sparkle.” I’ve picked up a number of pursuits in the last year or so - genetics research, neurosurgery shadowing, feeding the homeless - and I’ve even had one interviewer directly state that I probably did it to look good on my CV. These things probably do look good - but that’s not why I did it. I enjoy the heck out of every one of them, and I think that came through in my PS and my interviews.

There’s any number of things out there, different ways to learn what you’re getting into (healthcare exposure) and make yourself useful (volunteering, etc). Find those things that’ll make your eyes sparkle .

Appreciate the advice Adam. I was just curious given my numerous clinical hours and employment in the hospital setting. I guess even per my original post I did my own rotation. Fortunate enough to have a family friend who is the head of the emergency department at an area hospital helps out significantly.

I am very active in our community and local church. I, as you may know from your own experience am very eager and willing to do what it takes, and give the extra effort. Though it’s not really effort if you enjoy helping others. Thanks again. You have been more than helpful.

Maddux31,

welcome to OPM. That’s a great site and hopefully you’ll find answer to all your ‘FAQs’ and further inspiration!

I think that the most important thing in the application process to medical school - except from good grades (of course) - is to be SELF. You want to present yourself as a unique person, who will bring into school something that noone else can. Since everybody is different, that shouldn’t be a problem. You just have to find a way to present yourself in the best light/ from most optimal point of view. You want to make yourself stand out.

If you find fullfillment in medical-related activities that’s great! But at least to me, if a person only has healthcare related experiences on their application, it looks ‘fishy’; but it’s my personal opinion and might not be true about everyone. To me it looks like this person did all those things ‘to look good on paper’. Of course, you should make sure that you bring all your medical and health care related expreiences into attention, so that admission committees know that you know what you’re getting yourself into. But they also like seeing well-rounded applicants - people who have life outside of the hospital/ books/ doctor’s office. If you find this fullfillment in the church - go for it, if you love dancing - let them know about that! You might love cooking, running, taking pictures, scrappbooking, helping out animal rescue organizations… whatever your passion is, make sure you can talk about it and share your enthusiasm with others.

I’m not sure if it makes sense. My point was that there is no one recipe on how to get into med school! The most universal would be: do well at school + have a decent MCAT score, get some healthcare experience + …(everybody should fill it with their own story)!

Good luck,

Kasia

Madkasia,

No that makes absolute sense. I appreciate you taking the time to share your insight. Congrats on medschool! Thanks again!

• pi1304 Said:
Welcome, Maddux .

I can't give any specifics right now, except to say "do what makes your eyes sparkle." .... Find those things that'll make your eyes sparkle .

Sigh...tsk tsk, Adam, it's "makes your eyes DANCE." You've gotta get my quote right. "The dancing eyes syndrome."

Grins,

Judy

Hmmm…Optometry anyone?

• jcolwell Said:
  • pi1304 Said:
Welcome, Maddux .

I can't give any specifics right now, except to say "do what makes your eyes sparkle." .... Find those things that'll make your eyes sparkle .

Sigh...tsk tsk, Adam, it's "makes your eyes DANCE." You've gotta get my quote right. "The dancing eyes syndrome."

Grins,

Judy

LOL... but if I misquote you as "sparkle," I can say "literally" without abusing it!

And people who misuse that word literally make my head explode.
  • pi1304 Said:
  • jcolwell Said:
  • pi1304 Said:
Welcome, Maddux .

Grins,

Judy

LOL... but if I misquote you as "sparkle," I can say "literally" without abusing it!

And people who misuse that word literally make my head explode.

More LOL.

Grins,

Judy