New to the Site, its good to find a Non-Trad geared site

PJ - Points taken

Those of you that talk about my “confrontational attitude” its an internet forum lol. If you think my telling it like it is on the net reflects how I am in an interview than there you really are living in an altered reality.

This isn’t real life folks. This is the internet where I thought I could express concerns and opinions without worry.

You are the ones keeping this going. I got what I needed (well not really). Basically, a bunch of defensive folks at cheap schools didn’t get in or are struggling to do so and now they are defensive.

PJ you are def. right in the mentality I have based on the legal world. In law, pedigree is everything. Unfortunate but true.

Good luck.

• gooble Said:
Those of you that talk about my "confrontational attitude" its an internet forum lol.

. . . Basically, a bunch of defensive folks at cheap schools didn't get in or are struggling to do so and now they are defensive.

First of all, why does the fact that this is an internet forum have anything to do with your attitude? If you don't get the response you want you resort to insults such as the one above about cheap schools or "I didn't ask for your opinion". I call that confrontational in any forum - internet or otherwise.

Second - I have yet to see any anecdotes on this thread of people who didn't get in or are struggling to do so because they went to "cheap schools". You have had at least four current medical students and/or residents state on here that they chose the cheaper alternative to post-baccs. Joe and I are attending top ranked medical schools (Joe's much higher than mine, of course) so why would I be defensive? I applied to and was accepted to five medical schools, two of them ranked. Most of the people who are not currently in medical school who posted on this thread are not far enough along in the process to be considered "struggling to get in". When they are in the application process and not getting any secondaries/interview they are struggling to get in - not when they haven't even applied yet.

You aren't going to get a large sample size on here - this is a relatively small community compared to SDN. You definitely won't get a larger number of people to say that they succeeded going the cheap route than those you have already talked to who did the expensive post-bacc. I have no idea what the stats are on numbers of people successful in medical school from a formal program vs. those who did it informally and I don't think you could even begin to find them. Even if you went to a listing of colleges attended by current medical students, most of them list their students by where their undergrad degree came from, not by post-bacc program or school.

I’m going to just let this die. Sorry if I offended anyone. I honestly didn’t want to get into a pissing contest, I just felt a bit attacked.

Good luck to all of you and have a great Thanksgiving!

• Troll Guide Said:
The Contrarian Troll. A sophisticated breed, Contrarian Trolls frequent boards whose predominant opinions are contrary to their own. A forum dominated by those who support firearms and knife rights, for example, will invariably be visited by Contrarian Trolls espousing their beliefs in the benefits of gun control. It is important to distinguish between dissenters and actual Contrarian Trolls, however; the Contrarian is not categorized as a troll because of his or her dissenting opinions, but due to the manner in which he or she behaves:

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number One: The most important indicator of a poster's Contrarian Troll status is his constant use of subtle and not-so-subtle insults, a technique intended to make people angry. Contrarians will resist the urge to be insulting at first, but as their post count increases, they become more and more abusive of those with whom they disagree. Most often they initiate the insults in the course of what has been a civil, if heated, debate to that point.

– Contrarian Warning Sign Number Two: Constant references to the forum membership as monolithic. "You guys are all just [descriptor]." "You're a lynch mob." "You all just want to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you."

– Classic Troll Tactic: When all else fails, claim to be leaving forever. Trolls who claim they are leaving never do, of course; you can bet that anyone who proclaims, "I'm never coming back here," will most certainly at least check back for responses, and probably will not be able to resist posting again.

I know you guys/gals mean well but please allow this thread and this person to just leave. Don't feed him any longer. The ignore feature is awesome. Unfortunately I still see what he says in your quotes and the poor boy just doesn't get it. Please enable him to leave by not posting here anymore. Nothing good is coming of this.

We say x. He says z. He says we say x because we didn't get in or are in some type of fantasy land. I'm sorry but this is typical of SDN forumites. It's acceptable to be insulting and then play the innocent victim merely looking for help. Disagree with the help and then subtly instigate. When called on the instigations then revert back to the victim only looking for a helping hand.

Mary was right a few hundred posts ago. What more can be said that hasn't already. Allow this person to leave in peace and perhaps they will realize that medicine is not where they belong but in a court of law where fantasy can be argued and won.

Crooze you are a prick. Let me know if and when you actually get into medical school.

Fantasy can be argued and won? You obviously know nothing about the legal world other than the tv shows you watch.

Gimme a break. I try to make peace and you get an attitude. Go to hell. Come give advice when you actually prove something, until then you are just a wannabe. From talking to you its looking like more of a nevergonnabe. At least I have the fallback of a Top 15 law school, you on the other hand will have a broken ego when you fall flat.

• gooble Said:
Crooze you are a prick. Let me know if and when you actually get into medical school.

Fantasy can be argued and won? You obviously know nothing about the legal world other than the tv shows you watch.

Gimme a break. I try to make peace and you get an attitude. Go to hell. Come give advice when you actually prove something, until then you are just a wannabe. From talking to you its looking like more of a nevergonnabe. At least I have the fallback of a Top 15 law school, you on the other hand will have a broken ego when you fall flat.

I apologize because I did not see your post of apology and retreat. As they say "my bad".

Much success to you as well. Trust me I will inform you & the OPM forum most expeditiously upon my acceptance to medical school. On your graduation from law school please send me an invitation. It would be an honor. I am 7 miles from GT and it would be awesome to come see. A happy thanksgiving to you as well.

7 miles from Georgetown or from the law center? The law school is nowhere near Georgetown oddly enough. Its actually over by union station.

See ya.

Good lord! I don’t check OPM for couple of days and look what happens!

I don’t want to keep this silly, argumentative thread alive, but i wanted to respond to wiseman’s question about Northwestern. I think the classes are good; I find myself doing far more work than I expected and learning a great deal more than I expected. It is quite a challenge to maintain A’s while working full time. I like the self-directed learning - since class only happens once a week, most of the learning is done at home, which is how I learn best. However, as I mentioned, the class sizes are enormous, and I don’t have a rapport with my professors. It’s also extremely expensive.

I can’t apply to the formal program; I took chemistry as a student-at-large there before I fulfilled my math requirement, and that ruined my chances at getting into the program. Apparently they like things done in a certain order; I violated the order, and now must pay the price. Alas. It’s ok, though - I’m thinking about taking the rest of my classes somewhere a little cheaper, with smaller class sizes, and hopefully somewhere closer to my house. I just haven’t quite figured out where that will be…

• slb Said:
Good lord! I don't check OPM for couple of days and look what happens!

I don't want to keep this silly, argumentative thread alive, but i wanted to respond to wiseman's question about Northwestern. I think the classes are good; I find myself doing far more work than I expected and learning a great deal more than I expected. It is quite a challenge to maintain A's while working full time. I like the self-directed learning - since class only happens once a week, most of the learning is done at home, which is how I learn best. However, as I mentioned, the class sizes are enormous, and I don't have a rapport with my professors. It's also extremely expensive.

I can't apply to the formal program; I took chemistry as a student-at-large there before I fulfilled my math requirement, and that ruined my chances at getting into the program. Apparently they like things done in a certain order; I violated the order, and now must pay the price. Alas. It's ok, though - I'm thinking about taking the rest of my classes somewhere a little cheaper, with smaller class sizes, and hopefully somewhere closer to my house. I just haven't quite figured out where that will be...

Speaking of getting A's while working full-time, does anyone think it's feasible to get A's while working part-time and taking 17 units? The reason I ask is I found out that there may be a way to get around doing CC for another year and go straight to Davis but the only way to do so would be to take 17 units so all my lower division pre-reqs are done and I'm over the 60-unit limit. Basically I'm going to see about transferring as a psych major instead of a bio major and then double major in bio since I want to double major in bio/psych anyhow. Gets me out of the CC stuff a year sooner and I can take all of my pre-reqs at Davis.
  • Tim Said:
Speaking of getting A's while working full-time, does anyone think it's feasible to get A's while working part-time and taking 17 units? The reason I ask is I found out that there may be a way to get around doing CC for another year and go straight to Davis but the only way to do so would be to take 17 units so all my lower division pre-reqs are done and I'm over the 60-unit limit. Basically I'm going to see about transferring as a psych major instead of a bio major and then double major in bio since I want to double major in bio/psych anyhow. Gets me out of the CC stuff a year sooner and I can take all of my pre-reqs at Davis.

It's doable, yes.

I'm sure the feasability varies a lot with school, job, and invididual, and any number of other factors, of course.

And bio/psych is a very neat combination - both for the direct work and the interesting philosophy I expect would come from it. Good stuff - good luck with it!

And I'll second the "Happy Thanksgiving to all!" Except Canadians, because they have to get theirs done all early and make ours look late
  • Tim Said:

As Adam said - its doable, yes. Lots of people out there work part-time and take a full-time course load and do very well. But, to reiterate what he said - it depends on a lot of things - the person, the classes, the part-time job, etc. 17 hours of hard science classes can be a lot more difficult than 17 hours of humanities classes (and often a lot more time, due to labs).

See if you can find out what kind of workload the classes you want to take entail and be prepared to cut back on your work hours or drop a class if it doesn't look like you can handle it. Better to do that than end up with one or several poor grades because you bit off more than you can chew.

It’s doable if it’s not all tough sciences and you dont’ ahve too many time-consuming labs.

I received an interview from BU and I have 2 CC courses on my transcript… My close friend is a third year at BU, failed a prereq in which he retook at a CC, now is a third year at BU. What set her apart from everyone else is she scored a 39R on the MCAT. Its ALL individualized… There are close to 300 accredited and non accredited law schools so there may be a reason to tier schools. that being said, if an undergrad scores a 175 on the LSAT, she will get the scholarship to law school, faster that someone scoring 160 from a “prestigeous” school, provided that everything is equal… Honestly bro, at this point, there are many more obstacles to deal with than the school… at this level, everyone is smart and able. your post bacc school does not matter. Look at the schools that’s represented on acceptance lists. a score in the 98th percentile will ensure admission than the name of the school.

Gooble,

I am not certain what you seek - but I can tell you that taking courses at a CC are not a death sentence nor is taking those courses at an Ivy-league school going to bolster your applications. Most med schools, in some form or fashion, have a method of standardizing your GPA to correct for how intensive your Ugrad insitution is. But, itis also very known & talked about in the med school admissions circles that certain high-end schools tend to buffer the grades they award to Fr/Soph level classes in order to gild the lily of their reputation. So, Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth doe NOT necessarily guarantee an admission or even an extra doughnut on interview day.

Now, I am a physician - damned near through with my residency - and have been very active in the pre-med/med-student world for many years before, during & after med school. I can tell you without hesitation that in medical school, the number of your classmates from the high-end, prestigeous Ugrad programs will be the minority. By their very definition, these programs are exclusive & therefore turn out a smaller number of grads…think in terms of faundamental stats here.

Again, I am a real physician & I did my Ugrad at UTexas - Dallas, while a superb school, it had no reputation amongst med schools at the time of my graduation because the school had only been taking undergrads for ~5years at that time. It had been a grad-school only. Furthermore, I also took some courses - Physics 1 & 2 w/ lab - a community college & was admitted to medical school on my first attempt & to more than one program.

What got me in…just as what gets everyone else into medical school…are the strengths & merits of MY application filtered in the context of what the individual programs defines as their ideal applicant & how they wish to allot the demographics of their classes.

Does this help to clarify things for you?

I agree with Mary R & the others above in that some folks are simply not going to listen to what they are being told.