Hello Everyone,

I’ve been a nurse for more than 20 years and after much thought I am interested in beginning pre-med studies this summer at the Age of 41 any ideas on how to proceed will be appreciated. I live in the DC.MD.VA.area I wanted to apply to a formal post-bacc program but am ineligible because I have not taken the GRE, to prepare and take the test and apply for the next start date June 2008 would put me a year behind. Does anyone recommend taking the GRE as a precurser to the MCAT.

Next because I absolutely positively have to work during pre-med studies,I am considering the science in the evening program at the University of MD below is a listing of courses offered for optimal MCAT preparation

One year of general chemistry: CHEM131/132 and CHEM271/272 in the new chemistry curriculum at UM

One year of organic chemistry: CHEM231/232 and CHEM241/242 at UM

A minimum of three semesters of biology:

BSCI105, BSCI230, and BSCI440 at UM

One year of physics: PHYS121 and PHYS122 at UM

Any of the following additional optional courses to round out and enhance your knowledge:

BSCI223 General Microbiology

BSCI424 Pathogenic Microbiology

BSCI422 Immunology

BSCI436 Drug Action and Design

BCHM463 Biochemistry for physiologists. Note this course is NOT offered in SIE at this time. However, it can be helpful for MCAT preparation and some SIE students may be able to register for our daytime offering or at another institution.

Any other upper level BSCI courses in our daytime offerings. Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible schedule that would allow me to take the MCAT Spring 2008. If this is unreasonable please don’t hesitate to say so. I want to rush things and do extremely well at the same which might not be feasible. Also, if anyone has any alternative suggestions they would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

PS Thanks Mary for your suggestions!

Welcome SP

Glad you’re interested in medicine and welcome to the club!

It’s a classic mistake for nontraditional premeds to think they must complete all their prerequisite courses within 12 months “because I’m so old”. Almost everyone goes through this thought process and discovers through either bitter experience or coming to their senses in the nick of time that it’s not a realistic plan.

I would suggest that you focus on doing extremely well in your coursework and on the MCAT, however long it takes. An extra year or two makes little difference in the long run. It’s better to be enrolled in the medical school class of 2014 than to be a failed applicant to the class of 2013.

Slow and steady wins the race. If you bite off too much coursework you may end up with grade indigestion which will not impress any admissions committees.

GRE is certainly not needed prior to MCAT. What does often help is a prep course such as Kaplan, which will afford you many chances to test your skills in a realistic test taking environment prior to the real thing. My Kaplan course had a full length exam every week for five weeks prior to the real thing. When the real exam came along I was used to the drill, I had a good idea of what my score was going to be, and I executed the test in utmost confidence. My score was indeed within a point or two of my practice scores.

Your plan to take night courses while working is excellent and will allow you to save your pennies right up until med school starts, thus minimizing your ultimate debt load. I recommend starting with one not-too-intense course just to get the brain warmed up. Best of luck,

Not possible to take the Spring 2008 MCAT.

Over the summer you would have to take Physics 1 & 2. Then you still need 4 semesters of chem (inorganic + orgo) and 2 semesters of biology.

The best you can do is take 2 science classes each semester and test Spring of 2009.

You need to do EXTREMELY well in ALL your courses meaning mostly A’s with a few B’s okay. This holds true for returning mature students that should “know” what they can handle. This will mean that no, you will not be able to take the MCAT in 2008. You have a lot of courses to take and you will be working so be careful! I would suggest starting with ONE science class with lab and see how that goes. If you ACE the class and find yourself with plenty of time to spare then add classes accordingly. Admissions folks will be going over recent courses with a fine tooth comb so beware! they expect the best from a returning student with added maturity and wisdom.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions…As much as I want to get this done, here is a tentative schedule. Any suggestions would be appreciated. also, does anyone know if there is a time limit on English classes the ones I have taken are more than 15 years old. Any suggestions where calculus can be added?. Thank you.

Summer 2007 Math Review/English Review

Fall 2007 General Chemistry I/Biology I

Spring 2008 General Chemistry II/ Biology II

Summer 2008 Physics I

Fall 2008 Organic I

Spring 2008 Organic II

• SP Said:
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions...As much as I want to get this done, here is a tentative schedule. Any suggestions would be appreciated. also, does anyone know if there is a time limit on English classes the ones I have taken are more than 15 years old. Any suggestions where calculus can be added?. Thank you.

Summer 2007 Math Review/English Review

Fall 2007 General Chemistry I/Biology I

Spring 2008 General Chemistry II/ Biology II

Summer 2008 Physics I

Fall 2008 Organic I

Spring 2008 Organic II

Two things:

Physics II?

And you'll actually be taking OChem II in Spring 2009.

The two med schools that had an English requirement (of the ones I applied to), never said a word about my English being 10+ years old. I think they are a lot more concerned about the age of the science pre-reqs.

Are you allowing time in your schedule for the labs that are required for Inorganic/Organic Chem, Bio, and Physics? You may have- I just couldn’t tell.

Yes, the labs are included. Thanks for your input

Physics II will be taken in the second Summer session. You are correct Organic II will be taken in Spring 2009 at which time I will study for the MCAT. Thanks for your input.