Non science and Calculus requirements...

Pardon my tardiness, I could probably get the answers to my questions by researching on the web but this would just save so much time -

1). Our med school (U of MN) does not require Calculus. However I do know some schools require a year of calculus. Would I still have to retake calculus if my undergrad (10 yrs ago) was in Physics? I’ll be done retaking my PhysicsI and II classes this semester.

2). Again, our school (U of MN) requires one course in the humanities. Do any other schools require one or more courses in the humanities?

I ask these questions because I certainly don’t want to limit myself to the U of MN and want my prerequisites to be broad enough that they satisfy other schools’ requirements too.

Thanks y’all.

Hey dazed -

From what I’ve seen, most schools tend to be flexible on the age of calculus and humanities. I had a couple of schools that required a year of English who never mentioned that they thought there was a problem with my English credits being over 10 years old (and I was accepted to these schools).

As always, though, the best bet is to call any school with those requirements that you think you might apply to and ask them. Alternatively, if you don’t know for sure now, once you get to the application stage you could take calculus and/or a humanity during your application year if a school you are really interested in says they want more recent credits.

• Dazed Said:

2). Again, our school (U of MN) requires one course in the humanities. Do any other schools require one or more courses in the humanities?

I can't imagine anyone getting out of college without quite a few humanities classes. However, if this happens to be the case for you, know that med schools appreciate "broadly educated" individuals who are not unidimensional in their coursework. The age of your humanities coursework should be no problem.

Cheers,

Judy