...not so happy beginning of the new year

We just got back from our vacation in Quebec. It was our first vacation together since last Christmas and we were very excited about it. We loved Mont Tremblant with their superb skiing trails. We finally made a decision to buy our own equipment, and save up some money during next skiing expedition. Quebec was absolutely fabulous with its numerous lakes, open space, lots of snow, low temperatures…wild and uncivilized. And just as we were talking how wonderful time we were having, and that it was our best trip ever, we got a phone call from friends of ours who were dog sitting for us. Russia was sick and they did not know what to do.

The decision to cut our vacation short was an obvious one. We packed in 5 minutes and shortly were on our way home. We drove overnight and when after 30 hours of being awake we finally got to our friends’ and saw our little girl barely wagging her tail at us, we were devastated. We took her to the vet’s and the blood work showed that it was kidneys’ failure. She has survived two of these so far, and this time nothing could be done. With her blood results it was a miracle that she was still alive. Her will to see us again was probably the only thing keeping her alive. She was put asleep on January 5th, 2007 at 2:45 pm at the age of almost 8.

And then when we finally arrived home there was a letter from EVMS that I was waitlisted. For some reason it doesn’t even make me sad any more. I’m getting used to the thought that I might have to take the MCAT again and apply next year.

It’s so empty in here without the dog. She’s been our best friend. Her toys are still all arond the place…definitelly too many of them, but I guess this is was happens when you don’t have kids . Our bed suddenly seems to be too big for the two of us, although before we had to fight for space with Russia. The home is still full of her smell. The supply of her food would last at least few more weeks. Our christmas tree is still up, with an ornament with Russia’s foot print on it. Her stocking next to ours…I wish we had more time to get used to the thought that we’re loosing her. And we only had 2 hours to say ‘good bye’.

Oh, Kasia, I’m so sorry. I know the first few days of walking around the house expecting your beloved pet to come around the corner are the worst ever. So, so, sorry.

Kasia -

Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your pet. Two years ago while we were on vacation, my beloved labrador of 10 years also fell ill. After we returned home, we also ended up having her put to sleep. I know how hard it is - my thoughts are with you.

Amy

Kasia, there aren’t words enough to say that will bring you relief from the grief you feel now. Anyone who has ever opened their heart to a pet knows how hard it is to say goodbye. I can only share with you the hope that we will all find our beloved pets waiting for us in a big green happy meadow in our lives hereafter. My thoughts are with you in your time of loss.

Linda

I’m sorry for your loss, Kasia. Russia sounds like a wonderful member of your family, and it’s incredible that she had such will to say goodbye. You have my sincere empathy.

Are you familiar with the Rainbow Bridge?

-Adam

Thank you so much for the kind words. I’m doing a little bit better today, but it still hurts.

Adam, thank you so much for the link to the Rainbow Bridge.

Mike and I talked a little bit about pet adoption. We definitelly want another pit bull girl, and when we are ready for another pet we’ll seriously consider adopting one.

Kasia

Kasia, I am so sorry that Russia is no longer with you. You clearly have a lot of love to share and I am sad for you and Mike. Hugs to you both!

Mary

Kasia,

I want to echo the sentiments of everyone else and say I’m sorry for your loss. I have never had a dog since I left home for the simple reason that I didn’t feel that I have enough time to give to the dog. Well, this Christmas I decided to get a puppy for my daughters so they could experience the good and the bad of dog ownership. My girlfriend has a dog and she wanted to get another to keep him company. So, I now have a 2 1/2 month old puppy (born on Halloween) that has been one big pain in the butt but I sure wouldn’t get rid of her now either. My girls love her and my girlfriends dog loves her as well. You can’t believe how it has settled him down to have a playmate. I guess my point is I can sure see how one can get attached to a pet and I can only imagine the loss you and your husband feel.

Geoff

Kasia,

Mine & Wendy’s hearts go out to you & Mike. We lost our furry little son of 12+ years last July. It is a heartbreaking thing to have to go through.

Kasia, I’m so very sorry. As the mommy of both dogs and cats, I have been through similar circumstances, and grieve with you. You have my utmost sympathy.

Judy