Nurse to Physician: Activity Section Help

Hello!

I have been a nurse for 4 years in the ER and have achieved many things in that time frame regarding leadership and certifications. With only 15 activities spots, would you recommend that I simply discuss nursing achievements in the free text or create them as separate activities.

For example, I have obtained both my CEN and TCRN certifications, I work as a charge nurse and have been a graduate nurse preceptor (leadership), I serve as shift representative in ED shared leadership, I teach classes on USGIV insertion to residents and fellow nurses, etc. Would you create each of these as an activity and then discuss them further or create Nursing as a lone activity and then list all of these accomplishments in the most meaningful essay?

I want to make sure I have room for all other activities, however want to highlight my achievements within nursing as well.

Side note to Dr. Gray, I have loved the podcasts in which you brought on nurses to discuss their journeys to med school, but I would LOVE an episode geared towards formulating an application specifically for people with significant health care experience. It would be very helpful!

Thank you in advance for any responses!

• Sara

I am also an ED nurse as well. I would love to hear a episode geared specific towards nurses who are ready to make the leap. I feel we are in a unique place and have valuable experience we want to display in the correct place.

I would list theses accomplishments separately. Each of them represents a different level of skills you have gained. It given a holistic view of you as an applicant. Showing your commitment to continuous learning and development of skills necessary to be a physician. You can also address collaboration with various physicians within one of these activities. You can highlight your leadership skills through your experience as a clinical educator (orientating new nurses).

Good luck on your journey.