Nursing School straight to Post Bacc?

Hi all. I am a BSN student starting my last semester of nursing school next month. My nursing degree will be my second bachelor’s degree as I also have a previous degree in psychology.

I always considered medical school but pushed the idea away because I didn’t think I was the type of person or student who could handle premed or med school. However, over the last few years I have really evolved as a student and I now believe I could do it if I put my mind to it. I have excelled in nursing school but as I near the end I find myself feeling a sense of “that’s it?” I want more out of my career than I feel I’m going to be able to get from nursing.

I don’t have any premed classes besides some very basic chemistry classes that I’m not even sure would meet the chemistry requirements. So I have a lot of schooling to do before even thinking about the MCAT or applying. My question is this: should I jump straight into a self paced (but not DIY–the university has a program that is custom tailored to each person’s needs) post bacc after I get my RN license? That would mean working (not sure if I would be able to swing full time, possibly part time which may be hard as a new grad RN) and taking at least a class or two each semester. Or do I get some work experience as an RN and then start the post bacc?

Speaking as an RN here (6yrs, ICU) I would recommend getting your feet wet in the field first as the first year of nursing can be rough for some people. Honing the skills you need to be successful as an RN can be pretty difficult when you’re bogged down with outside class work. Chances are you might be doing additional assignments thru work as a new grad since many hospitals are adopting the RN residency model.

How long should you wait? There isn’t a hard and fast rule. It’s personal preference. Just get settled in your new job and then go for it.

1 Like

I would agree with wildgm. I am also a nurse (2 years, ICU and PACU) and I would say it would be difficult to start out as a nurse and have college courses to take at the same time. Working as an RN for a year would give you some time to explore more of healthcare, network with nurses and physicians alike, and some time to make some money to set aside to help pay for future classes or pay down student debt.