OChem 2 App Cycle

Thoughts on taking ochem 2 during summer, MCAT in August, and still submitting for that particular year’s app cycle?

Thinking of only taking math this summer… long story. Then taking gchem 2 in fall, ochem 1 in spring, ochem 2 in shortened summer session, then MCAT in early August, submitting my application by mid-August.

BTW, ochem lab is a completely separate course and I will be taking that in Fall 2010 anyway (our ochem series is split between lecture and labs, and one must be taking ochem 2 concurrently, or have already completed it).

My app would include everything but MCAT score as grades are generally posted within 1 week of term ending.

When are you planning on taking the MCAT? I think you might run into some problems with the timing of your application. If you wait until after your OChem 2 class to take the MCAT, you’ll need to wait about another 30 days for your results, thus your application wouldn’t really be complete until September’ish. While it isn’t late, late…you may find yourself having some problem because you will be applying in the thick of the season…if you have a great application with high GPA, high MCAT,great ECs, LORs, etc., you might have a better shot, but if your application is more on the average to less than average, earlier is definitely better to apply.

Thanks Kris… I know the timing is not ideal but I also know that my situation is a bit… think extensive/substantial water/sewer damage on home to contend with…

Am trying to make sure I put myself in best situation for best grades… likewise, not sure I want to put off taking another year and be 47 when I apply.

Believe me, I totally understand. BTW, sorry about the water/sewer damage. Having lived through a major leak/mold issue, I can totally sympathize with the stress you must be going for.

What I might suggest is your trying to take the MCAT earlier. I think that if you have Ochem 1 done along with the other classes, not having Ochem 2 done won’t be a major handicap. I don’t know if you are like me, but I’m already prepping myself for the MCAT. If you apply as soon after your spring semester that you can and submit those grades, the only thing outstanding with be the Ochem 2. That grade won’t really do much to change your GPA unless you really bomb it (which you won’t). By the time you do interview that class will definitely be finished since most interviews don’t really start before September. So, do the MCAT in mid/late spring (I’m planning around the beginning of April) so that by the beginning of May your MCAT score will be available, submit your application on day one. Make sure that you are already working on your PS so that you can pretty much have that done. This way when your application is verified (i.e. receipt of all transcripts), you actually be almost finished with organic 2.

Best of luck!

My PS is done I think I am like you in that regard - my EK books are my best friend these days… Also, I sat through and took ochem 2 this spring… Understand most of it but I’m sure it would have helped tremendously to have ochem 1 (haha - ya think!?)

I do like your idea of taking the MCAT earlier and having only to submit ochem 2 grade… My quandary is that a director of admissions stated her suggestion was to take my MCAT in July of next year… just ugh.

Thanks again!

• jkp2117 Said:
My PS is done I think I am like you in that regard - my EK books are my best friend these days... Also, I sat through and took ochem 2 this spring... Understand most of it but I'm sure it would have helped tremendously to have ochem 1 (haha - ya think!?)

I do like your idea of taking the MCAT earlier and having only to submit ochem 2 grade... My quandary is that a director of admissions stated her suggestion was to take my MCAT in July of next year... just ugh.

Thanks again!

Well, the Director of Admissions is definitely more experienced...however, it is a suggestion not an order. What I would probably do is to schedule the MCAT in late spring and if you feel that you need the extra time, just reschedule it. You are applying to more than one med school, right?

I just think that you might be slightly handicapping yourself if you wait until July. It's going to take about 30 days before the score comes in...that'll set you back. Since your goal is starting med school in 2011, you want to make sure that you apply as early as you can.

BTW, I love to hear that someone else will be applying for the same school year!

Me too!! Camaraderie at it’s best

I am applying broadly 25 - 30 schools NOT including Carib or DO… my shadowing experience in rural FP is ramping up - I think I may be able to shadow 2x per month (it’s my dad’s FP in a tiny town)…

The director I spoke to is very helpful - told me a story about her own life’s decisions, then smiled at me and said, “Don’t give up!”

I think that was all I needed to hear.

Whats up?

I suppose you know my vote already… I have discussed this ad nauseum…

DO MATH… Course its your decision…

But just a friendly hypothetical question to consider… (I can’t help it you see)

How much time, money, “relationship capital” and effort have you put into this little foray to get HERE?

Do they have a “warranty” or “guarantee” up there in good old Minnesota that I have not heard of? One that states:

The bearer is entitled to up to TWO “trip-ups” at one of the HUNDREDS of places to trip or come up short, especially those historically utilized to effectively reduce the number of qualified applicants to medical school by up to 35% (previously termed “thinning the flock”). Including, but not limited to those areas formerly viewed by the system as a required benchmark or demonstration of academic aptitude required for medical school academics. The bearers grade will be forgiven expunged and the admissions committee is not allowed to consider it for purposes of admission…

Take home message: Leave the “gatekeeper to medical school” (AKA Organic Chemistry) alone until such time as

1. it can be taken by the numbers,

2. with the concurrent lab,

3. in a Fall Spring sequence,

4. relativly alone AND

5. the spring MCAT falls during O Chem 2

Richard

Good to see you, Richard!

Our ochem lectures do not have labs associated wtih them. They are 3 cr classes.

The ochem lab class is 5 cr and comes with it’s own lecture. Ochem 2 is the prereq or concurrent registration for lab.

If I don’t take gchem 2 this summer… it puts off applying until 2011. Ugh. I know… why the rush?! I know.

Thank you for the input!!

JKP SEZ "If I don’t take gchem 2 this summer… it puts off applying until 2011. Ugh. I know… why the rush?! I know.

Richard SEZ: And your point is-s-s-s?

You have over-come so much already and have earned the right to be quite proud of yourself AND despite all are hangin’ in there…

DUDESS stay the course! Is it better to GET-IN in 2011 or get a rejection in 2010? Which in turn forces you to reapply in 2011 anyway but with a “MISS” on your record…

Richard

<3 & /hugs!!