Official Plan B

I have finally made my decision about what to do if I don’t get into medical school this year. My husband was really gung ho about St. Christopher’s in England, and I would have liked to have jumped into that, but I have a lot of family considerations, so…its going to be grad school if no acceptance. I am supporting my mom now, who has recently become disabled, which I couldn’t do overseas. I will move to Arkansas the first of June if I don’t have a seat, and get into graduate school at UAMS. My goal would be to do well and reapply. It isn’t as fast as I’d like, but I have to think about my family situation.
Kathy

Kathy, that sounds like a plan that you can live with. “Slow and steady wins the race.” There is a reason why moving out of the country seemed too complicated - it was. Your life in all its intricacies goes on even as you pursue your goal - and those intricacies will continue as you work through med school and beyond.
I am sure you won’t regret doing it this way. It stings a little to think of “what might have been,” but you are still making progress to your goal, and that is what counts.

Sounds like you’ve made a good decision, Kathy. I know it’s tough to do.
I forget, are you applying to UAMS currently? If so, and if you haven’t done this already, call the admissions folks and let them know your situation and what your plans are. They do respond to people with “strong ties” to the state. I actually have an interview there on Jan 10th. My parents live in AR and I have a long family history there, even though I have lived most of my life in TX.
If you are applying there next year, you should be set!
Good luck!

Hi Kathy,
Graduate school is tons less hassle than undergraduate and much more professional. You will tend to find that your fellow students are more career minded and mature. You will also take yourself out of that undergraduate mentality that so plagues pre-meds and pre-medical advisors. You will bypass many things and learn at the same time. Graduate school is more focused and will exercise your fine analytical mind. You might find yourself hooked but keep your goal in sight. I have to say that graduate school really made me learn to love life-long learning and will give you plenty of options that you just don’t have at the undergraduate level.
Natalie

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I do have strong ties to Arkansas but received a letter yesterday stating that my application would no longer be considered. I had already talked to the admissions office and found out that the last letters to interview went out Dec 8th and waited with bated breath. I have emailed Tom South already asking for specific suggestions to improve my application. Rejection stings.

Good move Kathy. Staying stateside is always the first choice. I did as you did and went to graduate school and while there found the opportunity along with the Deans proding too enticing, BUT I did not have a mother who was house bound and needed me. So I left. I don’t regret it one bit. The kids are benefiting tremendously from us doing this, although the wife is really missing Target and Walmart.
Being a US grad is always best, but if you can jump thru flaming hoops this is still just as valid and can get you there. Even now I am preparing for second semester and am anxious to get on with the material.
Good luck at UAMS grad school. Work hard and ace every class.

Joe,
Thanks for being there to answer many of the questions I had about SC. It sounds like a fantastic school and we had hoped to experience the opportunity of being there, but taking care of my mom will have to take precedence.

Sorry to hear about the rejections. They sting.
I applied, was interviewed at a number of places, was waitlisted and finally rejected. It broke my spirits and I didn’t think I was going to be able to move on. I was accepted into a clinical lab master’s program and tried to give it my all, but my heart was not into. I was very hard to go to the campus where I was waitlisted/rejected and sit in some of the same classes with the MSI students, so I withdrew completely before completing my first semester and we moved to another city.
I didn’t look at anything related to med school, no doc shows on TV, etc. But I couldn’t get it out of my system. I reapplied and this time I was accepted to a number of schools and will begin my journey in the fall of next year.
My point is… you can put your plans on hold for awhile and then return. I waited 2 years between the first time applied and the 2nd time. What a difference 2 years makes.
Don’t give up on this if it is truely what you want to do in life. Figure out where your application is lacking and work hard on that part to improve it. Meet with the schools to find out what they have to say. They can be very helpful. Good luck. I know how it is when you have family issues at the same time you are trying to do something for yourself. I hope taking care of your mom will go smoothly.
Good luck

Another rejection today …WVSOM.

Kathy,
I talked to the head of admissions. She said give her a call, so do it!
Also, suggested taking some of the courses where your lower grades were over again. AACOMAS will drop the low grade when figuring your gpa, and that appeared to be the problem on your application.
Just don’t give up! Pick yourself up. . . dust yourself off. . . and start all over again!!

Quote:

Kathy,
I talked to the head of admissions. She said give her a call, so do it!
Also, suggested taking some of the courses where your lower grades were over again. AACOMAS will drop the low grade when figuring your gpa, and that appeared to be the problem on your application.
Just don’t give up! Pick yourself up. . . dust yourself off. . . and start all over again!!

Hey Kathy,
I am sorry to hear that you will not be going to WVCOM this year but as Linda said, pick up and keep going. You may be closer than you think and WVCOM is well worth attending even if you have to wait another year and reapply stronger. I was totally impressed with the caliber of teaching and learning resources that I observed there. Linda is going to be a well-trained physician when she graduates.
You will also love Lewisburg. It is a wonderful small town in a very lovely part of West Virginia. A few days ago, I drove from Columbus, OH to Charlottesville, VA and was routed through Charleston, WV and into C’ville by way of Lewisburg. I stopped for petrol and enjoyed the mountain views while dodging the semi-trucks on I-64. It’s a great town.
Call that Dean and find out what you need to get moving toward your goal.
Natalie

Plan B just got a MAJOR kick in the butt as I found I cannot finance my dad’s house in Arkansas. Not only that, Little Rock doesn’t even HAVE a pediatric private duty company anymore! Gentiva (my company) still does visits but pulled out of private duty years ago! Crap! Most LPN work in Arkansas is cruddy, nursing homes. I am having to re-think my whole situation. Not too hip on grad school or re-taking OChem, etc, but still want med school. Joe, are you listening?
Kathy (feeling whiny today)