Offshore schools

Hi,

I’ve been a member for a while. I’m almost done with my postbac program and I’m looking at some of the offshore schools. These schools offer three entering classes per year which is very attractive.

What do you guys think of these schools? Any personal experiences? Or do you know of anyone that has been accepted to a residency program in the U.S. after graduating from an offshore school?

All advices/suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks

Define “off shore” … Carib? Mexico? Europe? NZ/Australia?

I meant Caribbean. Thanks

From what I’ve seen and heard:

SABA, Ross, AUC are the top one which also are approved for federal funding (ala loans).

There are a couple of folks on here who have, or are, attending one of those Carib schools.

I have a friend at Ross. She loves it. She had a 3.4 gpa and 19 on MCAT. They took her, but, I have a feeling that at times she is struggling. I think the school might take a “less desirable” applicant, but, that the schools are just as tough.

Richard B is one of the OPM’s on here. Do a search for his name. He is at an offshore school and has done some wonderful replies about it.

• Kimberly_h Said:
Richard B is one of the OPM's on here. Do a search for his name. He is at an offshore school and has done some wonderful replies about it.

Can't speak for him but pretty sure he went to US based med school.

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

This is a link into part of a post where DRFP is attending school in the Carib. He was an MSIV then so presumably, he is in residency some place.

You are right. I must be getting my OPM’s confused. There is someone that has left the family at home while he goes to a FMS. I can’t remember who it is…well, that is obvious. wink!

• Mayelin Said:
Hi,

I've been a member for a while. I'm almost done with my postbac program and I'm looking at some of the offshore schools. These schools offer three entering classes per year which is very attractive.

What do you guys think of these schools? Any personal experiences? Or do you know of anyone that has been accepted to a residency program in the U.S. after graduating from an offshore school?

All advices/suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks

Is there a reason that you are looking into the Caribbean vs. within the US?

Yes, affordability is an important reason. Also, I like the 3 terms per year.

Is it really more affordable? I thought it would be the opposite.

From what I’ve checked they’re more affordable. I’ve been told classes are smaller and rotations are done in US hospitals. My only concern is residency. That’s why I posted the question.

Is your application so weak that you don’t feel confident to apply in the US? From everything I’ve heard, even from those students attending some of the caribbean schools, that if they could’ve, they would have preferred to apply more broadly and get into a medical school in the US.

Be aware that some schools in the caribbean do not take financial aid and you will be responsible for getting all loans on your own…I just looked at Saba and while it is “cheaper” than some medical schools in the us, I saw nothing about student loans. Just be careful.

FYI, SABA, AUC, Ross are eligible for federal financial aid. The others are not.

I hate to plug another forum but…:

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/forum/

It may dispell/answer some questions you have.

Really? Because I just looked at those websites (not Ross, but the others you mentioned) and none of them said anything about Federal financial aid for US citizens. I did see for Canadians there is aid, but no US. The only school I did see was St. George University. I had gone to all of the websites for this information, because I was curious myself.

Each to his own, I just think one needs to be cautious and that is all that I wanted to stress. I wish to OP the best of luck.

I would consider Carib given a few that I personally know attend there (AUC and Ross). So, I requested the brochures from them and in the brochures it specifically spells out the fed aid.

Agree with you whole heartedly about being careful with non-US based schools.

And to the OP!

That’s good to hear! And I guess if all options for studying in the US are gone, that it is a good option if you really want to be a doctor.

Having pets, the Caribbean just isn’t an option for me, and since they are my stress-busters, I’m not about to give them up.

I would consider the Carib if I absolutely couldn’t get in anywhere in the US…but you can’t take pets? Even if you get them super vaccinated? Because I really love my dog…I don’t know if I could manage med school without him.

Typically, when going to foreign countries AND Hawaii, there is an extensive quarantine period. That period can last from 3 - 6 months or longer. From what I’ve read, the pet is kept in a shelter like environment which you pay for, then is watched and visitation generally restricted.

You can find out more if you Google quarantine.

nah…I couldn’t do it!