Old-Premed

Hello! Iam 32 years old and Im freshman at idaho state univer. I moved to The US 5 years ago and gained residency. I dont have much clinical experience, may be only when i worked for about 6 months as CNA in a hospital back in my country. Most of time i worked as a server in the bars and restaurants because i needed to support myself and my parents. I couldnt afford any college and now in The US i have a chance to get a degree. I always had a dream to be a doctor-surgeon. Im taking English(basic writing) class right now at ISU and i have B, but im trying to get higher grade. I used to be really good in high school and i still remember chemistry, physic and math well. I know i have to take all those classes and get a bachelor degree before i can apply to US medical school. Also i know that MCAT is extremely hard especially verbal part for non-native english speaker. Im willing to work hard to learn English, but im worried that ill not able to impress an admission committee. They will probably ask me what i did 10 years and my answer is i worked as a server in restaurants because i had to take care of my sick mom. I didnt have any degree to work somewhere else. I couldnt afford any college. I need some advice. What should i do? Im going to volunteer at local hospital and try to get letter of recommendation. How do you guys think what else i can do to improve my application ? Please help with some advice. Am i too old to be a doctor-surgeon?

Hello! Iam 32 years old and Im freshman at idaho state univer. I moved to The US 5 years ago and gained residency. I dont have much clinical experience, may be only when i worked for about 6 months as CNA in a hospital back in my country. Most of time i worked as a server in the bars and restaurants because i needed to support myself and my parents. I couldnt afford any college and now in The US i have a chance to get a degree. I always had a dream to be a doctor-surgeon. Im taking English(basic writing) class right now at ISU and i have B, but im trying to get higher grade. I used to be really good in high school and i still remember chemistry, physic and math well. I know i have to take all those classes and get a bachelor degree before i can apply to US medical school. Also i know that MCAT is extremely hard especially verbal part for non-native english speaker. Im willing to work hard to learn English, but im worried that ill not able to impress an admission committee. They will probably ask me what i did 10 years and my answer is i worked as a server in restaurants because i had to take care of my sick mom. I didnt have any degree to work somewhere else. I couldnt afford any college. I need some advice. What should i do? Im going to volunteer at local hospital and try to get letter of recommendation. How do you guys think what else i can do to improve my application ? Please help with some advice. Am i too old to be a doctor-surgeon?

Please, can anyone give me advice? Thanks.

You are not too old. That’s easy.

I don’t think the past will have much bearing on your application. Focus on your grades, your English and MCAT. Those are absolute requirements everyone will look at. You have several years to get clincal and volunteer experience while in school.

Good luck!