Older Docs

I am an FP. Who has been practicing in both urban and rural areas for 27 years. I have precepted both MD and DO medical students. It is a service I feel I owe to my profession.
I love to teach. In fact I would consider teaching medicine equal to my my love of practising medicine.
The practice of medicine has evolved at an unprecidented rate during my years of service.
It is extremely difficult for a physician to stay current with the daily proliferation of new medical data.
It has been my experience, that I learn as much as my medical students do, during their rotations with me. Not just medical knowledge, but from a fresh perspective of looking at health care.
R. Paul Livingston DO.
Medical Director
Cross Timbers Community Health Clinics

Paul,
Thank you for your insight. Even though I have only been a physician for a short period of time, I too have discovered a love for working with both medical students & other residents. For the many years of resp therapy practice prior to becoming a physician - again, I very much enjoyed teaching & precepting. I would like to think that there are quite a few RTs out there whom I have helped learn the how to function in a critical care environment.
Accepting this is really moving me more towards a career as an academic physician as opposed to private practice. Yes, the money is almost absurd out there for anesthesiologists, but you know - I never entered this profession for the money. So, most likely, I will seek a position at an anesthesiology program where I can continue to teach & precept.
Again, thanks for your perspective. Amongst a group of nontraditionals, the voice of experience carries substantial weight!

Paul,
One quick question. May I ask how you found us, OPM?

By accident, I was checking on the status of the Osteopathic Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas.
I was in the first TCOM class 74.

Dave,
Most recently, I was an Associate Professor of Family Practice for the University of New Mexico. About two years ago, I accepted the position as Medical Director for the Cross Timbers Community Health Clinic in DeLeon, Tx.
It has been the most rewarding job I have ever had. Thanks to federal funds, we can treat patients with no health insurance or money for a minimal fee. We are a federally qualified health clinic.
I encourage you to learn more about this type of practice. You can still teach and know you are providing health care that equals or exceeds any other options that are are out there for patients in need. Including Academia.
Paul

Dr. Livingston-
Glad to see you’ve joined us. I’m a first year at TCOM and couldn’t help but reply and say thanks for paving the way for those of us here at TCOM. We finished a hell week of exams, so I’ve been able to come up for air and checkout OPM. I’ll see if I can find your pic on the wall.
Chris Chambers
OMS-1
TCOM

Chris,
The first year is the toughest. After that it should get better. I encourage students to save some time each week for themselves and family. It is the only way to remain sane and perserve relationships. Hang tough but don’t take yourself or medicine too seriously. You will be a better physician for it.
Paul

What Paul said could not be more true. One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten was from an attending who told me to view medicine as an alluring mistress who could never be satisfied. No matter how much of yourself you pour into the relationship, she (medicine) will only demand more until she sucks the life out of you & any other relationships you may have. The only way to curtail this is to actively manage how much of “you” is allowed to entertain this affair.