On-line courses

I am contemplating an on-line bichemistry course offered by the New England School of Osteopathic medicine, however, my undergraduate school says that distance courses are not well recieved by medical or osteopathic schools. Any advice would help, it would be the only way I could get an upper level biochemistry course. It is an accredited course that is offered.

In general, schools can be pretty stuffy about distance ed courses for core prerequisites, but many med schools don’t even require biochemistry. If you take an upper division course as distance ed to improve your chances of performing well in med school, I don’t think it’s a big deal.
Are there particular med schools you’re interested in applying to? You could contact the admissions offices and find out what they think.

Hi Kerry! I am also contemplating the on-line Biochem course thru UNE and have contacted 2 schools so far about any concerns. One had concerns and the other did not. I would recommend that you contact the schools which you plan to apply for clarification.
Take care!

Hi all
I think it really depends on your GPA and MCAT scores along with the rest of your app. I have talked to various admissions people at a number of schools and they said if the app is strong they could care less where you went to school. Obviously this will be a little different for some ivy schools, but hell, who can afford them? :stuck_out_tongue:
I have taken Chem I & Chem II am now taking Bio I&II as well as Physics I&II through CCConline (colorado community colleges online). They put this on a transcript as if you attended the class and do not differentiate between online class or at campus. So that may be helpful for you.
Have a good one!

I took few classes a while a go in a local cc. They were not pre-med prereqs, but when at some point I requested my transcripts, it wasn’t even marked on them that those two claess were on-line.
Biochemistry is not a class that is required by most medical schools (if any at all). So, if you’ve taken (are going to take) all your required class in the classroom setting, I don’t see any reason why this online biochemistry is going to hurt you…

Quote:

I have taken Chem I & Chem II am now taking Bio I&II as well as Physics I&II through CCConline (colorado community colleges online). They put this on a transcript as if you attended the class and do not differentiate between online class or at campus. So that may be helpful for you.
Have a good one!

Mike, how do you satisfy the lab requirement? A lot of people on here would like to know, I’m sure.
Mary

Hi Mary!
CCConline include home lab kits. These kits are sent to you and you complete the lab at home. You get the credit for the lab as well as the credit for the class. I get 5 credit hours for both chem I and 5 for chem II. On the transcript it also does not indicate the class is online only that you have taken it from colorado community college.
Hope that helps!

I did part of a Master’s in Computer Information Systems online. I really think regardless of whether the courses are well received or not, for most subjects in person classes with the full spectrum of experiences are far better.