Online classes with lab components?

Hi Everyone,

I’ve completed my undergrad, but it didn’t include any chemistry/biology/physics. I would really like to take online classes this winter to prepare for the MCAT/complete the prerequisites, but I’m not sure about lab components? The school I’m most interested in has told me that online classes would be acceptable, as long as they include a lab component. Has anyone taken online courses that included a lab component somehow? I would love some advice. The freedom of online classes really appeals to me. Thanks!

I took some classes through Univ New England College of Osteopathic Medicine. They offer an online DIY postbacc program, albeit a pricey one. It’s been a few years, but I don’t think too much has changed. I only did Organic 1/2 w/lab through them (while I was still flying, and yes, I could work on them on the road). Both of those classes had software-based labs that tried to simulate a lab environment. You had to “set up” the equipment, select the right reagents, perform the experiments (time-lapse available), then answer some questions based off of your lab writeup. The syllabus changed since I took them so it might be different.

When I went through them, their biochem class did not have a lab component, and I don’t know if they have one now, nor do I know if schools require a biochem lab.

Some of their labs (at least for physics) required you to rent equipment from them to set up at your home.

I took Physics I from January through May 2017 through UNECOM. I’m taking OChem I this summer and plan to continue with Ochem II next in the fall. The setup is still as Kennymac described for the organic chem labs. Classes for lecture + lab come out to approximately $1500 each. My professor for physics was very involved with correcting homework and answering questions. It has been less so with OChem and the lectures are terribly dry, but reading every word of the textbook and completing all practice problems seems to be the best strategy.