Online Degrees? Opinions?

Hey Kris,

I cut and paste your previous note into this forum as it fits the pre-med area. Besides, gotta help out a transplanted Long Islander (I am still in the cold here on “the island”). BTW, you can start a new thread by adding a topic.

Any sfor Kris?

I currently live in Bradenton, Florida (transplant from Long Island, NY). I’m 42 and have been always drawn towards medicine (currently work at one of the hospitals as a Health Unit Coordinator/Monitor tech). For quite a while I had thought of going to nursing school, but even despite numerous times applying and being accepted, it is medical school and not nursing school that I want to go. I’ve got my associates degree, but I still need to work on my bachelors. If things work out, I would hope to apply for Fall 2009.

My question is this…how do medical schools look at bachelors degrees done online? I am looking at the University of Maryland. I would of course finished my science prereqs on campus.

Also, how does one start a thread?

Kris

Hi Rich,

Where on Long Island are you living? I grew up in Nassau County (N. Massapequa), and lived in NY up until I turned 35.

I still get homesick (family still lives up there), and if I can get through med school, I do think about doing my residency back up in NY.

Kris

I grew up and am still living in New Hyde Park Between Long Island Jewish Hospital (Albert Einstein clinical site) and North Shore University Hospital (NYU site). SUNY Stony Brook has a site at Winthrop Hospital and I go to SUNY Old Westbury for premed which is right next door (and actually houses the students) for NYCOM. SUNY Downstate, Mount Sinai, Columbia, Cornell Weill, are all 1/2 via commuter railroad and even New York Med in Westchester is about 45 minute drive. I sure as hell want to get in near here!

I grew up and am still living in New Hyde Park Between Long Island Jewish Hospital (Albert Einstein clinical site) and North Shore University Hospital (NYU site). SUNY Stony Brook has a site at Winthrop Hospital and I go to SUNY Old Westbury for premed which is right next door (and actually houses the students) for NYCOM. SUNY Downstate, Mount Sinai, Columbia, Cornell Weill, are all 1/2 via commuter railroad and even New York Med in Westchester is about 45 minute drive. I sure as hell want to get in near here!

Hi Rich,

I know the area well…I had worked as a medical secretary/transcriptionis t in LIJ, NSUH and Winthrop.

Two schools I am looking at are the DO schools in NYC and on LI.

Kris

WOW I can’t wait to see what is Posted! Because I would think some courses are fine and others… they may frown upon a lot, one thing I do know is that there are some online UNI’s that do not put online course on the transcripts.