Online Study Group

I know OPMs are busier, I know I am, but it’s not an excuse. I must get extra studying done and review everything.

So, I was thinking… is anyone here interested in an online study group to prepare for the Spring test?

I see that in the past many have benefited from having others “around” as we go through this process and it helps keep up with the schedule.

Even if just to lurk, but seeing that others have signed on and anyone can ask questions, might help.

I think, at the least, having some other people to help hold me accountable for studying would be great. Not sure what form that would take, but it’s food for thought.

On a side note, I am going to be making online flashcards for the MCAT and plan to post them on my other blog (mybedsidemanner.blogspot.com). So anyone is welcome to use those for prep. I’m not sure when I’ll get that up and running, hopefully in the next few days …

Exactly!

I was thinking a Skype group would be a good idea, since an icon pops up on the dashboard when someone logs in. Questions or not, even if we’re busy memorizing, at least for the members to say “CHECKING IN!” to the group adds an element of accountability.

I’m also just about to start this week. I have about 800 Bio flashcards I made last year that I need to review, and I’d love to exchange decks!

Just an idea Broad_Horizon, you might want to try google plus’s hangout option, but then that would require a google plus account.

Hmmm…I might be down for something like this.

If this thing works, it would be the biggest social media approach to tackle the MCAT.

The main advantage I see in it, if for using it as question repository and perhaps for info exchange that can range from plainly interchanging virtual/digital flash cards to commenting and/or discussing topics that may or may not be obscure to one of the participants. Remember, teaching is the best form or learning…

In conclusion, I like the idea and hope will still be around when my moment to take the MCAT comes…good luck everyone!

Yes, it’s actually been done before, so I can’t take credit for the idea.

I notice that last year’s group had a good experience and good results, so I’m interested in giving it a try.

What ever the group wants. Skype seems to work, but we can try any medium.

Is anyone up for starting Monday?

Sure! I’m in. I have a doctor’s appointment mid-morning but other than that, I’m free (no class due to MLK holiday).

I would definitely be game for this…sometimes the study alone game gets old. Let me know if you will!

Hello All,

I am new to the OldPreMeds website and was reading through the post about the virtual Mcat study group. I am interesting if it is not too late to join.

Thanks,

Lisa

I’ll let others take the initiative of forming the chat, since it DOES help some. But I’m finding that turning off my computer helps me focus better.

Instead, a few of us who formed a tiny group, and we report to each other at the end of the day via email. EVERY day. For the few couple months. Until test day.

Basically the day before we tell each other what our study goals are for the next day (it varies per person) and the next day we report to each other how we did.

I made a commitment to review for 5 hours every day, and made room for it, and I’m energized right now, thanks in part because my study buddies are on the same boat, and rowing along, rain or shine.

I figure, we’re all busy, but we roll-up our sleeves and make the time to study because it’s important, and we can use group momentum for a good purpose =D

If anyone is up for that kind of pace, you can PM me your email and we’ll add you to the group

Thank you so much for your rapid response. I am interested in being part of the email list. Feel free to send me an email at futuremd4@gmail.com.

Thanks again,

Lisa