Online vs. Brick and Mortar

I am new to the forum and I am just starting my prerequisite journey. Unfortunately, I do not have a good 4-year traditional brick and mortar school in my area that would fit my schedule (working full time). I assume that this is a common problem for working non-trads. Has anyone gone the online route and had success with it? Does anyone have good recommendations for online programs or experience with the University of New England program? I assume that online programs do not hold the same weight as a traditional 4-year post-bacc? Also, is taking any of the pre-med courses at a 2-year community college out of the question? Thanks for the insight in advance, and I look forward to being an active member of this group!

From what I read on here community college is better than online.

The recommendation I’m following is: only take non-science courses on-line (English, Business Law, etc). Don’t take any science courses past first year at comm college (planning to do Chem and Physics there, Org and Bio at 4 year).

Really, the only way I see on-line working for a full degree is if you can find a 4 year fully accredited school that offers on-line and does not make any distinction on your transcript between the classes. I think I’ve heard of a school in New England somewhere (Jersey, maybe?) that does this. But then it would be pretty obvious if you were living 600 miles away, too.

• NightGod Said:
The recommendation I'm following is: only take non-science courses on-line (English, Business Law, etc). Don't take any science courses past first year at comm college (planning to do Chem and Physics there, Org and Bio at 4 year).

Really, the only way I see on-line working for a full degree is if you can find a 4 year fully accredited school that offers on-line and does not make any distinction on your transcript between the classes. I think I've heard of a school in New England somewhere (Jersey, maybe?) that does this. But then it would be pretty obvious if you were living 600 miles away, too.

1) The MSAR lists if a school accepts online courses or not.

2) a growing number of schools are listing online courses without any indication that they are online including major schools such as Purdue

3) UNECOM offers a post-bacc online

And we all know there is a difference between what a school accepts on their web page and what they accept in reality. My personal goal is to give them as little excuse as possible to reject my application during that first round of “We have 500 apps, how quickly can we get it down to 75 so we can begin to properly evaluate them?” And part of that, at least for me, is to avoid taking any critical classes on-line if at all possible. The on-line learning system is still recovering to some extent from University of Phoenix and it’s ilk. While I can agree that the trend finally seems to be changing, I’d prefer to play the margins in my favor as much as possible. 10 years from now I’d likely have a very different outlook.

• NightGod Said:
And we all know there is a difference between what a school accepts on their web page and what they accept in reality. My personal goal is to give them as little excuse as possible to reject my application during that first round of "We have 500 apps, how quickly can we get it down to 75 so we can begin to properly evaluate them?" And part of that, at least for me, is to avoid taking any critical classes on-line if at all possible. The on-line learning system is still recovering to some extent from University of Phoenix and it's ilk. While I can agree that the trend finally seems to be changing, I'd prefer to play the margins in my favor as much as possible. 10 years from now I'd likely have a very different outlook.

I think your approach is very wise. :-)

Cheers,

Judy