Open Heart Surgery

Today I had a chance to observe Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)surgery in Inova Fairfax Hospital. It was such an exciting and totally captivating experience for me.
And when I was standing in the dome observing the procedure I knew that one day it would be me in this room downstairs (not as a patient)…
I just got motivated again, and I felt this new, stronger drive to become a physician…it was as strong as on the day I decided to start my pre-mad prereqs (or even stronger). And although sometimes it seems so far away, so unattainable, I know I won’t let some physics class dicourage me from following my dreams, I won’t let the perspective of all this hard work that it takes to become a doctor keep from, what I believe, will bring me happines and ultimate fulfillment in life…

Madkasia
I’m thrilled for you!!! Your post was most inspiring (definitely needed it today) Everyday we come one step closer to attaining our goal. Thank you again

Surgery is an awesome experience. The day I spent with a buddy ENT surgeon was the kickstart I needed after three years of prereq’s. He let me observe a tonsilectomy and an inner ear exploritory surgery. I realized that day that the decisions I made several years ago were indeed valid and true. I’m glad you experienced the operating room. It was a highlight memory for me also. PS. Physics exam two in 1 week! grrrrrrrrrrr!

The surgery was incredible wasn’t it? Someone asked me how it was and I think I used every variation of amazing, incredible, awesome in the dictionary until all I was left with was WOW!
I wish we’d been able to get the audio feed so we could have heard what they were saying. To all of you already in the OR - What do you guys talk about during surgery?? Is it all surgery related or what? The folks we were watching actually laughed at one point and I can’t imagine that was surgery related.
Tammy

Quote:

The surgery was incredible wasn’t it? Someone asked me how it was and I think I used every variation of amazing, incredible, awesome in the dictionary until all I was left with was WOW!
I wish we’d been able to get the audio feed so we could have heard what they were saying. To all of you already in the OR - What do you guys talk about during surgery?? Is it all surgery related or what? The folks we were watching actually laughed at one point and I can’t imagine that was surgery related.
Tammy

Hi there,
What do we talk about? Most of the time, the conversation is related to the surgery i.e. pointing out anatomy, giving instructions to the assistants in terms of retraction for best exposure, consultation with the anesthesiologist for optimization of the surgery (most important with anything in the chest as these patients can go bad in literally seconds), conversation with the perfusionist.
If the surgery is going well, there may be banter about most anything from the current sports scores to shoes. When I operate with one of my favorite female surgical faculty members, we will talk about lifestyle issues and family issues. She is a total advocate in having us take care of ourselves and our families. Gone are the days when you do surgery to the exclusion of everything else in your life.
If there are medical students present, there will be pimp sessions. If an intern is operating with an more senior resident, there will be a pimp session too. “Pimping” is the art and technique of asking questions of the medical student or intern along the lines of anatomy, physiology and technique. Any physician in training meaning medical student or resident may be “pimped” by an attending or more senior resident. If you cannot answer the question, then it is implied that you read and find the answer. Some people will give the the answer but pimping is done to direct your reading or enrich your understanding of the case. You should never expect to scrub into a case and not know something about the patient or procedure (indications, anatomy, physiology, pathology or technique).
My very first operative case as a third year medical student was with four female surgeons and a female anesthesiologist. We talked about shoes. By the end of the case, I was totally hooked on surgery as a career. I was tying knots and naming vessels like a pro. It was totally awesome and I continue to be amazed by patient anatomy even today. No patient looks like the pictures in your book and everyone is different. I love the constant challenge and I even love being pimped.
Natalie

Quote:

Quote:

I even love being pimped.
Natalie

must…refrain from…childish…r e s p o n s e…