Ophthamology Residency

I am hearing ophthamology residency is one of the hardest to get and what school you go to almost is a determinning factor? Is that true? What approach do people advise if my goal is to become an ophthamologist?

• Nardos Said:
I am hearing ophthamology residency is one of the hardest to get and what school you go to almost is a determinning factor? Is that true? What approach do people advise if my goal is to become an ophthamologist?

Hi there,

Your medical school (as long as it is here in the US) is less of a factor than how well you do. To get into Optho, you need to do very well both in school and on USMLE/COMLEX Step I.

When you start medical school, you need to get in touch with the Optho interest group at your school If there is not one, start one and involve the Chairman of the Optho department and the current residents.

Once you are in medical school in this country, your fate is in your hands. You have to do well in all of your coursework and on your boards. You need look no further than our Old Man Dave to see that if you do well in medical school, you can determine your own fate.

Good luck!

Natalie