OPM Episode 219: How Do You Show Med Schools You can Handle the Pressure?

This post is to discuss the episode “219: How Do You Show Med Schools You can Handle the Pressure?” from the OldPreMeds Podcast!

Do AdCom’s really expect you to quit your job and take classes full-time to show you can handle the demands of med school? You might be surprised.

Check out how to subscribe to the podcast and listen on your device at https://medicalschoolhq.net/oldpremeds-podcast/!

Hey Ryan–I’ve been listening to the podcast for a few months now and have covered several past episodes from over the years.

I am currently an ICU nurse of nearly 2 years and am finishing my bachelors right now (BSN). I recently got to thinking that instead of doing an APRN, I might actually want to go to medical school and I believe I can do it and be successful. I arranged a meeting with a premed advisor and just got off the phone with them. My plan was to do as much of the premed science (probably gen chem x2/phys x2/bio x2 (and maybe stats) at my community college and then take Ochemx2 and biochem at a 4year just because the community college doesn’t offer it. I was advised that this is a bad plan and that I should take these classes at a 4-especially considering my situation.

My sitiuation:
I attended 3 years of college immediately following highschool and stopped going to class for 2 semesters which resulted in 10 Fs. My final GPA there is 2.1. My ASN program at community college I finished with a 3.5 and I have a 4.0 so far in my bachelors program. The advisor told me that my cumulative GPA is 2.53. (I believe I can get a high GPA 3.7-4.0) in all of the science classes. I am out of undergrad financial aid and am paying out of pocket which is a restriction on where I can go and what I can do–and I need to work fulltime until I am in medical school if I am going to do that.

I’m really discouraged right now. I called one med school admissions and they told me that with that GPA no matter what upward trend would probably be a problem for them even with an upward trend. I don’t know whether I need to jump ship or what. Any thoughts?