Order of pre-reqs

Quick question… I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway.
I will be starting the health careers program at Harvard Extension School in the fall. On their web site they note that the typical progression of courses is gen chem and physics in the first year, orgo and bio in the second. I am thinking of switching physics and bio, but noticed on their course description for bio that previous coursework in chemistry is recommended, though not required. Did anyone find that already having taken chemistry helped them with bio, or conversely that they really wished they had chemistry before-hand? I'm guessing the only reason they recommend this schedule is to have both physical sciences in one year and both biological sciences in one year (the course meetings do not conflict, so that isn't the reason). Just wanted some feedback before I make my decision.
Thanks!

Gen chem helps with bio (I took them at the same time) but is probably not absolutely essential. (You could probably pick up what chem you'd need with the bio.) Since I liked bio a lot better it was a morale-booster to be taking it earlier. It partly depends on how they teach it, of course. Probably their order genuinely is the best order academically but it may or may not be the best order psychologically.
–joe

I have to say they told me to take gen chem first and then bio but that was the worst mistake for me. I love bio and doing well did wonders for my morale the same way doing poorly in gen chem nearly killed it.
It may be different at different schools but at Georgetown we didn't need that much chem for bio.

I took biology without any college chemistry. I did have hs chem that was relatively recent but I had gotten a dismal grade in it thanks to an awful teacher and book. I didn't need chemistry at all for my gen bio classes, but I could see how it would be useful, but the basics that are needed are usually covered in your biology textbook. I took my bio back before I had decided what to major in and after having taken an intro genetics class which had peaked my biology interests. This year I took gen chem, and next year I'll be taking both physics and organic chem together.
I have a feeling the reason behind the suggestions of gen chem and physics together and organic and bio together is because for most people organic and physics are the harder of the 4 classes. This way you break up the harder with the easier.
At my school however, they break it up differently. I'm also basing this off of a B.A. biology degree pre-health emphasis. Here they have you do gen bio and gen chem frosh year, physics soph year, and organic chem junior year (the year you'll be taking the MCATs). I'm actually doing a double major in biology and chemistry tho so I need to fit in Biochem and Analytic Chem my junior year, therefore taking physics and organic chem next year.
Anyway, however you decide to do it, good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS

I took biology, zoology and microbiology having no da-n idea about the chemical makeup of any substance. I am beginning general chem in the fall. Do not worry about it. (I received As in all three)!

Bill

I took gen chem before bio and actually got frustrated in bio because of the vague kind of way chemical reactions were discussed in the bio textbook. I started wishing I'd taken bio first and just learned the relevant chem along the way. I know chem is recommended first, and I can see why it could be helpful doing it that way, but considering what's covered in your basic intro bio class, I don't think it ends up being all that necessary.

Hi there,
It really doesn't make much difference because both General Biology and General Chemistry are introductory-level courses. You must take General Chemistry before Organic but other than that, it doesn't matter how you sort the introductory classes as long as you do well.
Natalie

Thanks for your feedback everyone… I figured the order didn't matter too much, but I thought I should check with people who had been through it just in case I was missing some key part of the equation! Although I was a math major in college and I'm sure physics will be fairly enjoyable (at least I'm trying to convince myself of that), I've really wanted to take a bio class for a while and I think taking it first might give me a boost psychologically, as some of you mentioned. I'll probably check with the pre-med advisors before I make my final decision, but I'm definitely leaning towards taking bio and chem together. At this point, though, I just want to get started however it goes. Funny, I should be enjoying the freedom of summer, but I'm really just itching to go back to school. Check back with me at the end of September, though, I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune! Thanks again, guys!

Several people have mentioned that Bio can be a nice boost. I have to say that it really depends. Bio at my university is really hard. I've only taken the first quarter, and I absolutely loved it – it's alive! However, it was not a morale boost for me, as I worked hard only to get a B in it! For me, Gen chem and Physics did provide that self-esteem boost – I've finished the series, and I aced them. In any case, I'm not really deflated by Bio - I'm confident I can figure out how to work the system in the next 2 quarters.
I guess I'm just saying that where you get the moral boost from really depends on who you are and how the material is presented/ tested at your school. It may be physics, or it may be biology.
Shannon

I guess what I meant by saying bio could be a psychological boost is that it’s something I’ve really wanted to take for a while (i.e., I’d consider taking it even if I wasn’t planning to pursue something medical) and I have a feeling I might be able to see the medical relevance more clearly than in physics class. I’m not expecting any of my classes to be easier than the others, I just figured starting out with something I’m really interested in might help rev up the motivation level. Plus, in looking at some of my other medically-related career options, bio seems to be one of those courses that pops up as a pre-req most often, so I’d like to have it done sooner in case I decide to pursue one of those options. Thanks for your opinion! smile.gif

QUOTE (arciedee @ Jun 16 2003, 02:48 PM)
Quick question... I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway.
I will be starting the health careers program at Harvard Extension School in the fall. On their web site they note that the typical progression of courses is gen chem and physics in the first year, orgo and bio in the second. I am thinking of switching physics and bio, but noticed on their course description for bio that previous coursework in chemistry is recommended, though not required. Did anyone find that already having taken chemistry helped them with bio, or conversely that they really wished they had chemistry before-hand? I'm guessing the only reason they recommend this schedule is to have both physical sciences in one year and both biological sciences in one year (the course meetings do not conflict, so that isn't the reason). Just wanted some feedback before I make my decision.
Thanks!

My personal opinion is that Organic Chemistry and Physics are the two toughest classes you'll take, and so you probably don't want to take them together.