Organic Chem online.

Has anyone ever taken, or is anyone aware of a university that offers org chem online?

Athabasca University in Alberta. They have a pretty extensive distance education program BUT you would have to go to one of the cities they designate to complete the lab component over 1 intensive week.

I’ve read comments that adcom’s don’t look too favourably on distance education courses, so I would check into that before signing up for any, especially if that would form the core of your prereqs.

Lynda

Hi:

The University of New England offers science classes remotely. They also have a school of Osteopathic Medicine. Their website is http://www.une.edu. I have read some folks were still accepted into med school despite taking classes online. I’m sure it depends on the institution and may be worth checking out those school’s policies.

Even though ‘on-line’ courses are becoming much more common offerings even from well-knownn univ/colleges, I strongly suspect the notoriously stodgy med school AdComs are dragging their feet in becoming accepting of them. I would proffer that their objections are at least partially grounded in the “sufficiently academically rigorous” clause they use to reject courses from allied health professions schools (RN & RT) and other coursework intended for anything other than hard-core science majors.

My 2nd concer would be over the lab component. All US med schools clearly state that they require OChem, GChem & Bio 1 year each WITH lab. The lab component of a traditional butt-in-the-seat course is designed to parallel & complement the classroom course…that simply is not duplicable in an internet-based format.

The University of New England’s Orgo class includes a ‘virtual’ lab. I spoke with Dr. David Manyan in regards to this class and he stated that some MD medical schools will accept this course and most DO schools will too. He said to check with the individual schools you are interested in. Here is a link to the page http://distance.une.edu/organic/register.html

I just enrolled in a Penn State program that is one calendar year in length and the majority of it is online. This is an accelerated postbac program that is designed for working professionals in a 25 student cohort. Basically, the content, rigor, and sequence is equivalent to the regular courses (Chem I and II, Bio I and II, Orgo I and II, Physics I and II, and a Genetics and A+P course are thrown in for good measure, and they are not reported differently on the transcript. However, the exams and labs on onsite every other weekend or so, so it is not copmletely “virtual” as some other online programs are described.

I checked it out. It looks like a great program. Wish it was a little closer.

Does anyone know of a simlar program, near Minnesota?

King:

Were you accepted by PSU-Brandywine’s program? I’m going to an open house about that program on Thursday. Looks like a great program.

Yes— I was accepted and just yesterday returned my deposit. The first cohort starts at the end of April and runs through May 2009. I went to the first informational session in November and was impressed by the level of thought they have put into the program. I think PSU Brandywine has a lot of “traditional” nontraditionals (ie, those who are taking courses 2 at a time in the typical classroom format). There is risk involved (10K for the program) as it is a new program, but the instructors seem to have thought the program out well and have lots of experience with nontraditional students.

The lab/exam set up seems like it will be very rigorous but I’m priming myself for it.

• OldManDave Said:
Even though 'on-line' courses are becoming much more common offerings even from well-knownn univ/colleges, I strongly suspect the notoriously stodgy med school AdComs are dragging their feet in becoming accepting of them. I would proffer that their objections are at least partially grounded in the "sufficiently academically rigorous" clause they use to reject courses from allied health professions schools (RN & RT) and other coursework intended for anything other than hard-core science majors.

My 2nd concer would be over the lab component. All US med schools clearly state that they require OChem, GChem & Bio 1 year each WITH lab. The lab component of a traditional butt-in-the-seat course is designed to parallel & complement the classroom course...that simply is not duplicable in an internet-based format.

Agree.

OP, if you can't take the course any other way, you do what you have to do to get the job done. But if you can take a live lecture and especially a live lab, I think it would be advisable to do so. I'm not sure how my school would interpret a "virtual lab," but I suspect many adcoms would not prefer it even if they're willing to consider it.

Just a quick question in here that I’m also posting on it’s own…

I’ve got a community college nearby that has everything setup with the local 4 year University to transfer all of the science credits you take straight over…

So the question, would it still look bad if you take community college chem and bio if they could transfer directly into the 4-year university down the street?

How it relates here, some of those comm college courses have online options, which leads to, if they transfer straight into the regular 4-year credits would they be cool too, assuming that the community college’s regular classes were cool?

I know that it will be dependent on each ad comm etc…but generally what’s the opinion? I know the general consesus seems to be, Community college bad, 4-year good…But when the local 4year accepts the community colleges classes as their own, where’s the harm eh?

Thanks,

JD

transferring credits is not the same as transferring grades. The courses are still done at the CC - it’s just that the 4-yr school is saying they’re acceptable. So yes, there is still a difference. If at all possible, you’d like your prerequisite grades to be from a 4-yr school. That isn’t always possible (and is a subject discussed ad infinitum here) but it is preferable.

Mary

I see…Ya I know the discussions back and forth on Comm College versus 4year could probably be a forum unto itself.

If taking the Comm College courses transferring the credits “up” to the 4year school, and then taking some 4year courses, would that alleviate the issue or no?

Issue is convenience and time at the moment…The Comm College has a schedule that will actually work with my working full time right now, whereas the 4year, not so much…

Thanks,

If, for whatever reason, you end up taking your pre-reqs at a CC, you should definitely try and take some upper level courses at a 4-year institution if at all possible.

I was considering something along the lines of taking SOME of my pre-reqs at community college for practice purposes, and then re-taking them at the 4-year. Since I’m going for an AS in Nursing first, it’s going to take me a bit more time then some others. So, I don’t see any reason why not throw in some extra sciences as long as I don’t overload myself…

I’d be wary of repeating courses. As you said, you get practice the first time around - so AdComs might not trust your 4-year grades so much.