Organic Chemistry Blues

So…I’ve seen a post with this subject title (or something very close to it) from at least one person every semester since I’ve been coming to this forum.

I just decided it was my turn.

There are 2 non-trad premed students in my class alongside me, and last night we were talking about the fact that this class just stinks. It’s a total departure from the nice mathematical framework of gen chem, and if you lack the ability to see things spatially, you struggle. One of my friends said, “you know…I think it’s just a rite of passage. We get through it, and we move forward.”

So yes–this has been a demoralizing semester. I’ve gone from making the top grade in the class every time to struggling to keep my A. It stinks. Royally. The chair and boat confirmations? Axial and Equatorial? WTH??? sigh I would trade stereochemistry for stoichiometry ANY day of the week!!!

But it’s almost over. =) The last time I checked, it was November. That means I can count on one hand the number of weeks left in Physics and Organic I. I will get through it. I will get through it. I will get through it.

And if you find yourself taking organic chemistry alongside me this semester? Well, you will get through it too! Hang in there, friends!

(Then there’s next semester…but we don’t have to think about that right now.)

Carrieliz,

Have you built a molecular model of cyclohexane? When I did this, I used red balls for all H’s in one orientation (say equatorial) and white balls for all H’s in the alternate orientation (axial). Once I had my model built like this, I could easily SEE the orientation of each H. Then you can manipulate your model to show the chair, the boat, and then to demonstrate the “ring flip.”

If you can’t figure out how to do this, bring your built model to your prof or TA and have them demonstrate - aha moment for those of us who are not spacially gifted.

I have the Darling “Molecular Visions” model kit, which has stiff links between molecules, helping to demonstrate some of the conformational intricacies (chair vs boat, ring flip), as well as the strain of certain conformations (like 3-membered rings). I strongly preferred this to the “ball and stick” models, which were too flexible for my liking.

Good luck! Nearing the end…

Annette

I wrote this during my Ochem course

Organic Summertime Blues

I got 15 weeks of schoolin’ but I’m doing it 5!

I said, I got 15 weeks of schoolin’ but I’m doing it 5!

I study so much that I feel more dead than alive.

I don’t know my mechanisms; reactions are killn’ me!

I said, I don’t know my mechanisms; reactions are killn’ me!

I study so much, my eyes they hardly see.

Alkenes and Alkanes! Alkynes and Alcohols!

Oh there so much to knows but I can’t knows it all!

I said, I got 15 weeks of schoolin’ but I’m doing it 5!

I study so much that I feel more dead than alive.

heheh. I cannot even begin to imagine how I’d feel doing o-chem in the summer!! You are insane!!!

I think I’d have been inspired to write something a little more… ah… in need of censoring.

**Definitely helps to look at models. Especially when I’m trying to figure out if something is an enantiomer, diasteromer, mesocompound, etc… Takes all the guess work out.

I’m getting it–slowly but surely. I just want it to be abundantly apparent, and it’s just…not. I’m waiting for that lightbulb, and it must be in need of replacing–cause it’s not coming on!!!

Thanks for the support, all!

Slight t/j:

I am in ochem 1. I actually really like it. All of it makes sense to me:

:Nuc attack carbons

:B attack hydrogens

ranking of different functional groups

R&S

E&Z

carbocats

carboanions

radicals

Sn2, Sn1, E1, E2 - which bulky base to use for which reaction; what products get formed; what it takes to make something Sn1 or Sn2, or E1 v Sn1 or … yeah, I get it all.

Achiral, chiral (4 different groups, that’s all you need to know); meso is just a plane down the center - if both sides of the plane are the same, it is achiral meso.

And yet, I’m barely getting a “B”.

I spent 100 hours over 4 weeks in the library, had mastered every mechanism we had covered… and then blew the test (it was, by even the professor’s account “brutal”). That said, I have bad test anxiety for which I am given extra time in a private room and I STILL did poorly.

So… if you are getting an “A” and struggling with the concepts still (that I understand), I would not feel badly Be glad that you are getting a solid grade!

I strongly recommend Organic Chemistry as a Second Language! It’s such an amazing book. All the explanations are very clear and to the point.( Our Austin community college had both I and II in the library). If the professor is not a good lecturer, then opening an organic chemistry textbook feels like reading sanskrit at times!

Hope it helps!

Gala

I took this class in summer while working at the same time. I did very well and I don’t recall it was that hard. I must say though that the exams were challenging. Because the rest of the class was struggling, some of my grades were like 115%.

What I did was to simply do as many problems as I could at the end of the chapter, check solutions and make sure to understand why it was wrong.

The book was the McMurry (I will provide more info if need be). Very complete and clear.

Oh and one more thing. My wife and kids were away during that time. That’s perhaps why I didn’t struggle. All my free time aside work was dedicated to studying. That makes a HUGE difference.

Carrieliz, you know I’m right with you on this one!

Ironically enough, I DO find orgo quite interesting, but also a unique challenge unlike any class I’ve ever encountered. My professor is going at a relatively slow pace, which helps, and we do lots of practice problems in class (also a big help). And there are some concepts which I get immediately. Others I struggle with. I’ve just come to accept that this class is going to be more difficult for me than others, and that I will have to work that much harder for my A (fingers crossed!).

I do find that working the problems at the end of the chapter (and checking my answers in the solution manual, as redo-it-all mentioned) does help. Basically, I’m treating this class somewhat the same way I treated physics when I took that last year: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

• Gala Said:
I strongly recommend Organic Chemistry as a Second Language! It's such an amazing book. All the explanations are very clear and to the point.

I can't concur enough! Get the book, and work through the exercises pertinent to what you are studying. Play with your models while doing it, and it will make sense, I promise.

If you can find a copy, the author of O-Chem as a 2nd Language (Klein) just published the clearest, most accessible O-chem textbook you will ever read. It's easier than reading the newspaper!

If you can find Klein's textbook, it will become your bible of lectures for the rest of the quarter.

Finally, the point at which you realize you need help is the most important. If you get help, and soon, you'll settle into the O-chem routine -- I know, because it happened to me, too . . . and now I tutor for the course

Keep up the good work, and let us know if we can help you out!

Ugh ochem…almost as bad as physics I found a great site with youtube videos done by a tutor in Berkeley. He is really helpful in understanding the fundamentals of ochem. Having someone explain the concepts in a different way can make all the difference. He has been so great! Best of all…they videos are free…

http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm

Ok–Kathleen… the freelance teacher guy? SO helpful! Now I feel like I have a foolproof method for R vs S configurations without having to worry about rotation. Go figure!

THANK you for sharing! =)

Exam tomorrow night… sigh Let’s get on with it! =)

I survived! Not sure what I made (will find out next week), but it’s done!

Just one more exam in Orgo and one more in Physics before finals. Wow, this semester has flown by!!

Thanks again for all the tips. I seriously benefited on this exam because of some of your advice!

I second Klien’s textbook. I also recommend getting your professor’s old tests. Not because he’ll use the same questions but because if you are lucky like me, your professor will be a true research organic chemist. Lecturers, Instructors, and biochemists teach organic different than organic chemists. The former 3 will tend to use the test bank, book problems, and problems from class. The Organic chemist will make his own tests so no matter how much you work the text book, you’ll still get a little freak-out factor when you see the organic chemist’s attempt to “separate the memorizers from the understanders.”

I’m one of those people who just “get” Orgo. I can’t say the same for bio, which is weird and not the norm. My first orgo2 test with an organic chemist (I had orgo 1 with a lecturer) was a B. I got all the concepts and could teach you them but I had never seen questions like he put on the test so it was weird. I got his tests after that and got 100’s on the rest.

As for Orgo1 specifically: most of Orgo1 is a set up to do the end of Orgo1 and all of Orgo2. I didn’t like the first half to 2/3 of Orgo1 but the rest was cool/interesting. In other words, it gets better (and more math-esque with problem solving minus the actual number stuff).

If all else fails, you’ll know how to make meth at the end of it all.

• Matt1986 Said:
As for Orgo1 specifically: most of Orgo1 is a set up to do the end of Orgo1 and all of Orgo2. I didn't like the first half to 2/3 of Orgo1 but the rest was cool/interesting. In other words, it gets better (and more math-esque with problem solving minus the actual number stuff).

If all else fails, you'll know how to make meth at the end of it all.

H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!! Oh, I needed that this morning!!

I'm actually beginning to see the truth of the statement, though... now that we are finally into reaction mechanisms, I am beginning to look backwards and understand the need for all the setup. It reminds me of meetings I've had where the presenter talks for 20 minutes about what we're going to discuss in the meeting, and then 10 minutes actually discussing it. I think I'm finally hitting a groove... but this exam will tell all! I have an A, but it's one point from a B... the trouble is that we don't have any graded homeworks or quizzes, etc. to bolster up the grade--so what you get on exams is what you get. But we'll see! Thanks again for all the help!

• Matt1986 Said:
As for Orgo1 specifically: most of Orgo1 is a set up to do the end of Orgo1 and all of Orgo2. I didn't like the first half to 2/3 of Orgo1 but the rest was cool/interesting. In other words, it gets better (and more math-esque with problem solving minus the actual number stuff).

If all else fails, you'll know how to make meth at the end of it all.

H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!! Oh, I needed that this morning!!

I'm actually beginning to see the truth of the statement, though... now that we are finally into reaction mechanisms, I am beginning to look backwards and understand the need for all the setup. It reminds me of meetings I've had where the presenter talks for 20 minutes about what we're going to discuss in the meeting, and then 10 minutes actually discussing it. I think I'm finally hitting a groove... but this exam will tell all! I have an A, but it's one point from a B... the trouble is that we don't have any graded homeworks or quizzes, etc. to bolster up the grade--so what you get on exams is what you get. But we'll see! Thanks again for all the help!

I emailed my instructor and got my exam score. I got an A…but one point from a B.

This would make me happy, except for the fact that he curved the exam THIRTEEN points. That means my raw score was a 78. I don’t think I’ve ever scored a 78 in my life.

sigh Don’t get me wrong–I’m grateful for the grade. I’ll absolutely take it. But I need to figure out where I went wrong.

Back to the drawing board. More work to do!

I would like to echo the Klein Organic as a second language! They have one for each semester and they explain minor differences between multiple reaction mechanisms so you aren’t memorizing a thousand mechanisms. They also help with main concepts to keep the memorization down too. Another good resource is freelanceteach on youtube. He has an organized website with all his youtube video links http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm