organic chemistry problem....again

If i got a D the first time I took organic chemistry 1 and I might end up with a C the second time around (I’m on the B-C borderline), should I just face the fact that I can’t get into medical school? what are other ways of getting into medical school if this brings my chances down? I need advice and would appreciate any thoughts.

thank you

anyone?

In a way, do i still have a chance with this on my transcript?

Rule 1: Take a Breath

If you choose the DO route, they will only use the LAST grade from a repeated course when calculating GPA. The number of repeats will still be on the transcripts but your GPA will count only the last grade and you will lose your worse grades

To quote one of Rich’s favorite phrases: It depends.

If the rest of your application is wonderful, and you don’t have a string of C’s in the pre-reqs (e.g. sciences), you may be able to get past that D/C in chem for applying to both MD and DO schools.

Cheers,

Judy

And to use one of Judy’s favorite phrases, if you don’t ask, they can’t say yes

Organic gets a really rotten reputation. I finally asked my biochem professor the following:

Is it that ochem requires a student to synthesize so much information in such a short time that the medical schools look a little heavier at that one class? Is that a barometer test of what medical school could feel like x 8 classes?

He smiled and said I was smart.

I guess that means yes.

I am not, nor will ever be, an adcom for medical school so won’t comment on what Judy and Richard have said.

What I would suggest is asking what you can and will do differently if the above statement of mine is true. I truly don’t think that it is the ochem per se that is the reason ochem is looked as it is. I mean, seriously, will you ever in your life have to substitute a chlorine onto an alkane in order to get an alcohol off it? at the primary spot? No (and I made that up). Will you ever care that H2/Pd-C can take an alkyne down to an alkane at the snap of your fingers? No.

However, what will matter is the ability to take all that nonsensical information and make it work for something that does matter.

I believe it is just a snapshot on study habits and willingness to keep going when it really is sucking the life out of you.

And, of course, I could be totally off base here

If you are doing well every where else, I would talk to people about what you can do to show you are smart enough and work hard enough to be a valued med school student and moreover, a great doc.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your input. So I should look at DO schools? I spoke with my pre med advisor and I described my situation. However, she did not give me feed back on another question of mine. I have a lot of research experience working with a post doc, and I might get second authorship on a paper she plans on publishing. Will this help in the extra curricular area of the application? Because I don’t have much going on and stopped volunteering at a hospice so I could focus on grades and research.

Thank you!

• emeraldfoot Said:
Hi,

Thank you very much for your input. So I should look at DO schools? I spoke with my pre med advisor and I described my situation. However, she did not give me feed back on another question of mine. I have a lot of research experience working with a post doc, and I might get second authorship on a paper she plans on publishing. Will this help in the extra curricular area of the application? Because I don't have much going on and stopped volunteering at a hospice so I could focus on grades and research.

Thank you!

GPA is GPA; authorship is a nice plus but GPA and MCAT are the the top two factors that medical schools look at.

Should you consider DO? MD? I would first consider reducing this FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) so it isn't making the decision for you. Then lets get a full summary of what your have, and not try to make a decision based on one course.

Sorry if this came off testy, this is before coffee
  • emeraldfoot Said:
I spoke with my pre med advisor and I described my situation. However, she did not give me feed back

I have found that every pre-med "adviser" except for one, has not helped but made me MORE uncertain and MORE afraid and put MORE FUD into my mind.

Listen to what Gonnif says. Don't let one class cloud your own vision.

MY situation with ochem is entirely different. The individual who told me about ochem sits on the adcom of the medical school to which I would like to apply - it is my home institution.