Out of the shadows

Hello! My name is Becca. I am very early in my journey to medical school, so I imagine you all will get to put up with my many questions, freak outs, and melt downs over the next few years.

Like so many before me, I have wanted to be a physician for as long as I can remember. I didn’t have the confidence when I was younger to make medical school a reality. In the meantime, life went on and I eventually found myself a single mom with three kids. Knowing that I wanted to work in the medical field, and desperate for a way to support my family, I began working towards nursing school. I started nursing school in January 2012. I have enjoyed nursing school, but it has only solidified my desire to go to medical school. I remember the exact moment I knew without a doubt that I would pursue medical school. I was in the OR during clinicals, and the surgeon was explaining to me everything he was doing during the procedure. I can’t really explain it, but everything in that moment, the sounds, the smells, the air in the OR, just gave me this feeling that I can’t explain. I just knew.

Over the summer I struggled with the decision of how to proceed. Ultimately I decided to finish second semester nursing so I can get my LPN. I have three kids to support as I chase my dream. I met with the pre-med adviser at the university I will be transferring to so I could get an idea of what I need to do from here. That brings me to where I am today. I’ve been weighing my options as far as my major, when to take what classes, etc. I haven’t settled on anything yet…I change my mind every other day. I’ll spare you all that stuff for now, but I assure you I will drive you bonkers with all that over the next few weeks/months.

I have been lurking for a few months, and I just want to say that the knowledge and advice shared here has been invaluable. Without knowing it, you have shed light on my path and had a definite influence on my decision to pursue medical school. I only hope that down the road I can pay it forward by inspiring even one person the way you all have inspired me.

Welcome, Becca! I have nothing fabulous to say, but didn’t want to leave you hanging

There’s a lot of information to be gleaned from these boards and the journals (including some of the older ones).

Annette

Congrats on your decision to start your journey towards becoming a physician!! One of the docs I work with used to be an LVN and is now on staff with a medical school.

Please DO NOT tell your nurse co-workers of your goal to become a physician. I made that mistake and wow, do I pay for it with rhetorical questions such as “Do you hate nursing” to “Why”. The gossip is very tough to deal with. It’s hard enough to get through these classes without having to deal with that too

Wish you the best on your future!!

Thanks for the welcome!

So far I haven’t told many people at all about my plan, only my family and my closest friends. They have all been very supportive! I sort of instinctively knew that not all people would react with support (especially school people). I’ve tried to make the people I have told understand that I don’t hate nursing, it just isn’t where my passion lies. As for the rest of them:

HAHAHaha!!! Welcome Becca. I completed undergraduate and graduate school while single parenting two little boys. They were 2 and 4 and I was 33 when I went back to school. Now they are 22 and 24 and I am 51 (tomorrow) and I am going back to school AGAIN to finish pre-reqs. Single parenting and college is intense, hard work, overwhelming, and SOOOO worth it!! You have a cheerleader here!

StarBex, you’re sure wiser than me

Happy early birthday VickiV!!

Happy birthday, VickiV!!

I should mention that my avi pic might be slightly misleading. It’s a few years old, so my kiddos aren’t quite that little. The baby is now 5, and the big boys are 10 and 12. It’s just one of my favorite pictures of my gang (and a rare shot of all of us together).