Overall GPA

now that i am starting my second Bach, i was wondering… how much does my prev GPA matter? Do they just bulk them all together or put more importance on the science and most recent degree? Sorry if its a silly question.

I would assume that they will bundle them together on your application, but will look at your more recent work when making a decision.

• dkclayton Said:
now that i am starting my second Bach, i was wondering... how much does my prev GPA matter? Do they just bulk them all together or put more importance on the science and most recent degree? Sorry if its a silly question.

Both the AMCAS and AACOMAS application slice and dice your GPA in several ways.

1) Your college transcript GPA is NOT used by AMCAS or AACOMAS. It is calculated when you input your courses into the online primary application for either DO or MD.

2)GPA AMCAS: BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, hysics, Math; AO = All Other OA = Overall

AMCAS reports to the medical schools a GPA for each Academic Year/Status: HS, FR, SO, JR, SR, PBU (post-bacc), and GR (graduate), subdivided into courses listed as "BCPM" or "All Other" into BCPM/AO columns.

3) Any undergraduate courses taken after you have received a degree are considered postbacc. These will both combined in your overall undergrad GPA as well as reported separately in a PBU.

4) I believe that any graduate courses, even in a special masters program, will be listed as

graduate and not in PB.

5) AACOMAS GPA differs

Science = Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics.

Non-Science = Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

All Coursework = everything.

Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in the GPA calculation.

To your specific question, for AMCAS (MD) every course you ever took will count towards GPA. So your old degree and new degree will be overall GPA. However, your second BA will be also listed separately as post bacc. So in addition to improving your overall GPA, you'll show vast improvement.

With AACOMAS, the above is also true with one exception: if you repeat a course in your second BA that you did poorly in your first BA, only the most recent grade will be counted in GPA.

Attached files

thank you so much ‘gonnif’. this is very helpful