Paramedic, Firefighter 5 kids, how do I write a personal statement?

Hello all,

So as the topic says, I’m a 34 year old non-trad I work as an advanced care paramedic and have for 9 years, I have been a volunteer firefighter for 12 years and I’m a father of 5. My oldest (18) is adopted from an abusive household, then my next (15) has extensive health issues (Global developmental delay, epilepsy, ileostomy secondary to Hirschprung’s disease), my youngest daughter (12) has a low-flow venous malformation, the boys have their own struggles, (10) has asthma, and is being investigated for ASD and the youngest (9) was born at 30 weeks, but is currently healthy. I was raised in a household with an alcoholic father, and married my high school sweetheart. We struggled through, ending up on welfare at one point. Also, prior to becoming a paramedic I was a cook, and worked my way up to a kitchen manager position at the age of 23. The schools I’m applying for have smaller character limits for their personal statements than what seems to be the normal for the U.S., I’m in Canada. Just curious about how I try and fit this into a statement and prioritize what schools would be interested in.