Path to Medical School

I was directed to the Old Pre Med website by Judith Colwell. I have found this website quite comforting in the fact that I am not alone as an older pre med.

A bit about me. I graduated from Texas State University with a BFA in Photography. After graduating I went into the Medical Photography field. This is where I found that I wanted to go back to school to become a physician.

My only concerns right now are my GPA, 2.9 and that I can only afford to go to a community college for my pre reqs. I’ve done really well in my pre reqs so far with A’s and B’s.

The community college does not have pre med advisors. Does anyone know where I may find one and do I really need an advisor through the process?

Thanks and good luck to all.

Hi Lindsay, welcome to OPM!

As for pre-med advisors, you don’t have to have one. Sometimes if they are available, they can be helpful, and sometimes not.

If you can only afford a community college, that is all you can afford. Just make sure that you stay on this course of getting no lower than a B in these classes. If you didn’t take any sciences in your undergraduate, you’ll have a good science GPA. Also, do well, it will show a good trend.

You probably will have some trouble with the 2.9. Have you checked into the medical schools that your are interested in? I know that Texas seems to have a lot of state medical schools that definitely prefer to accept their own residents. Definitely check with them to see what their minimum requirements are. You’ll also want to make sure that you do really well with your MCAT, so don’t rush to take it…waiting instead until after finishing your prereqs, or at the very end of this course.

There is also a Osteopathic Medical School (TCOM) in Forth Worth. I don’t know if you are aware, but osteopathic schools allow you to retake and replace grades. While all grades will be seen, it will help raise your GPA if you want to go this option.

Welcome to the site…you’ll love it!

I was told that community college classes are not accepted as fulfilling medical school prereq requirements. I would find someone to advise you, even if it is through an alumni connection to your undergraduate college. You can take out student loans to fulfill your requirements for medical school.

• rmsteinberg Said:
I was told that community college classes are not accepted as fulfilling medical school prereq requirements. I would find someone to advise you, even if it is through an alumni connection to your undergraduate college. You can take out student loans to fulfill your requirements for medical school.

I don't know where you are getting this information, but please stop spreading it all over the forum. It's not true. While there may be specific schools that won't take CC credit, and ones who frown on it, I have it on good authority (the med school's admissions dept. and my CC advisor, who's door is papered with copies of acceptance letters from former students) that my state med school will take CC credit.

disclaimer: as usual, all students need to be advised for their particular situation
  • rmsteinberg Said:

Most schools will take community college courses, a quick visit to their website will confirm. Granted, you will have to show better grades with CC courses but it can be done. Use the search feature and you will see much discussion on the CC route.

Here is what I found at Michigan State in a matter of 2 minutes of searching…

Q: Does CHM accept premedical course requirements taken at community colleges?

A: We will accept courses from community colleges if the course(s) is accepted at an accredited four-year US or Canadian undergraduate institution as transfer credit. To verify if a specific course is accepted at MSU, visit the MSU Transfer Admission website and view the Transfer MSU Credit Equivalency System.

Having been on the admissions committes at my school (Mayo) and having applied to way too many schools…CC credits in the pre-reqs ARE accepted at most medical schools. Please refrain from posting incorrect information. There may be A school that does not accept the CC pre-requs but these are in the MINORITY.

It is probably more correct to say that many schools prefer university credits, and all things being equal you are better off with those and should avoid taking courses at CC’s if you have an option, but as always you should check with the schools that interest you.