Personality Type and Specialty Choices

Hey guys what were the specialty choices for ESTJ? Thanks.

This is the best information I have been able to find. If someone has more info, please post!!! By the way, I’m ENFP.
http://www.gesher.org/Myers-Briggs/MBTI%20Chart%20and%20specialty.html

Hi there,
I am an ENFP and totally a surgeon!
Natalie :D :D :D :cool:

in Dr. Pelley's book, he reproduces part of a chart from another book … and it lists, for ESTJ: OB/GYN, Gen Surg, Ortho Surg
I don't have his book here with me now, but if you are interested, I'll post the reference when I get home.

Yes, please do Lisa thanks!

Hi Spacecadet-
Do you know how to interpret this table? (ie. what is N and the ratio is the ratio of what?). Does it go top to bottom with the top being the most favored specialty?
(this test said I'm INTJ, but I think I've gotten different letters in other tests)
LM

Hello,
I was in the neighborhood updating my personal profile and thought I would look over the dialogue on the forum before getting back to my various projects.
I would like to answer several of the posts here, since the “type” concepts can easily get misinterpreted. Take Natalie’s case, for example. She has the type that would normally go into a diagnostic area like internal medicine or tertiary care peds. Her choice of surgery doesn’t match the predictions of the table in SuccessTypes but keep in mind that those predictions are based on population statistics, and what you don’t see is that the rest of the data show much individual variation. They refer to the specialty that a student will select, if there are no other factors causing a different choice. I will re-emphasize that your “type” doesn’t limit what you choose, nor should it dictate it.
So, the question that comes up next is, “Well, what difference does it make if you know your type? How is it helpful?” The answer lies in the fact that your type is a habitual way of thinking that comes easiest to you, so the first thing that your self awareness of your type contributes is what will be easier for you and what will be harder. Sensing types that generally have great disdain for psychiatry can select that specialty if it will help them achieve a personal goal in life, but they will have to develop intuitive type strategies for passing their boards and organizing patient data, or they will soon be in treatment rather than delivering it.
For the ESTJ, you can be anything you want, but action oriented use of technology will be the most like play. For Natalie, her dominant intuition will always be most satisfied if she can deal with variety and new challenges, such as trauma surgery or academic positions that have opportunities for developng new surgical procedures. Whatever, the final choice anyone makes, their type will be there with them determining which aspects are fun and which are hard work.
Regarding the ratio that Laramisa asked about, it is referred to as a self selection ratio that compares the frequency that a given type appears in a specialty relative to the frequency in the population as a whole. The idea here is that if type didn’t matter then the ratios should be close to 1.0 for all types. That is, they would sort out based on other factors and randomly by type. When a type appears at a statistically significant higher frequency, as is true for the specialties in the table in SuccessTypes, then the assumption is that type influenced the decision to some extent. (Please note that all types select at some frequency into all specialties, with the possible exception of sensing types who seem to actively avoid psychiatry).
As a closing note, you may find it interesting that Isabel Myers did a second study, called the “longitudinal study” or the “10 year follow-up.” She found about 4900 of the original 5300 medical students ten years later (the AMA helped with location info) and collected data on whether they stayed in their original choice of specialties. I don’t have the data here, but a significant number went back and did another residency and of those who did, a statistically significant number selected a specialty that more closely matched their personality type! It’s important to note that they didn’t have the awareness of type that you do, so their choice was driven by perception of the specialty and how well it matched them.
My website has the handout from an AMSA presentation I gave to our students at TTU. It’s the link labelled “Choosing Wisely.” I hope it is helpful to you.
jwpelley

Thanks Dr. Pelley that was very helpful.

Thanks so much Dr. Pelley. I understand that chart a lot better now. I can’t imagine myself in psychiatry, but we’ll see what happens when I hit clinicals (in 2005). smile.gif
Pam

I remember doing this personality test years ago…it was in the book, Do What You Are.
I am an INFJ, I did ths test about ten years ago, and re-took the test about a year ago and
I am still an INFJ. I am still premed, not in medschool yet, but am already thinking about specialties.
My two top choices ( at present, anyways, wink.gif ) are pathology and diagnostic radiology, were way down
the list, and child psychiatry was number one, even though I have no interest in this as a career. Love kids
though, neonatology interests me also. Neuro surgery keeps coming up pretty high in every personality match
with best specialty test I do.
Does this mean I am a budding neuro surgeon and I just don’t know it yet? sad.gif

where do you take the test?

Hmmm…curious. I am an ENTP and my top-choice specialty (OB/GYN) is listed as absolute last for my type! Maybe I will have to do some thinking about this but I'm sure things will become clearer once I hit rotations.

Agent-
To do the test you can go through the link that space cadet posted above and click the button for personality type or go to Dr. Pelley's website. There are a couple of different versions of the test.
LM

So here is what I am pondering after two weeks in Primary Care:
surgery was a lot more fun!
I enjoy seeing people in the office - I even had a repeat patient who asked to see ME the other day, very cool! - but at the end of the day I am drained and exhausted in a way that I never was when doing surgery.
I am a STRONG STRONG STRONG introvert. People who go out with me find that hard to believe because I can be very outgoing - but it takes a lot of my energy to relate to people. I never go to parties. Small groups for dinner are great, but large groups just kill me.
And so primary care, where I am having to intently relate to a different person every fifteen minutes all day long, leaves me sucked dry. I am finding that at the end of the day in clinic, I want to go home and go straight to bed.
The charts on personality types and specialty preferences don’t give any consideration to the extrovert/introvert dynamic – I am definitely motivated to look into this more, though, and will let y’all know if I find anything. Meanwhile I am just thoughtfully processing my experience. Dh last night said, “You never came home and bitched after surgery.” Hmmmmm.