PharmD --> MD pathway ?

First off - I am so glad to have found this site. I’ve been reading your posts for a few weeks now, and all of you are quite inspirational.

About me -

I’m a 27 yo clinical pharmacist. I finished my PharmD in 2005, and I did two years of residency prior to starting my current position. When I enrolled in pharmacy school, I planned to go to med school afterwards, but, about halfway through, one of my professors convinced me to try the clinical pharmacy route. In doing so, I have been able to participate in collaborative practice, I’ve been adjunct faculty at three different schools of pharmacy, and been fortunate enough to practice in very progressive models. However, it’s still not enough for me, and I know in my heart that I will never be happy unless I become a physician.

I’m looking for advice on the appropriate pathway for me to complete my med school requirements as well as when it would be appropriate to sit for the MCATs. All of my pre-reqs were completed between Fall 1999 - Spring 2001, and the only class I’m missing is Physics II. I met with an undergrad advisor at the university that I am now employed at, and she referred me to the Dean of Admissions at the med school here. I meet with the Dean this week.

The undergrad advisor did NOT think that I should retake my pre-reqs. I see mixed opinions of this online, so I’m hoping the Dean can clear this up. I have started reviewing Gen Bio/Chem textbooks, and, once I feel more secure with that material again, I’ll start to review orgo. I am hoping to repeat the first semester of physics this spring and take the second one over the summer. I was hoping to sit for the MCAT over the summer, but I’m not sure if shooting for Fall 2010 enrollment is overly ambitious.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

~alison

Allison,

I am a pharmd that worked a year and then did 2 yaers of residency. I am in the EXACT same situation except I need Ochem II as well. I do not think you need to retake any prereqs. By taking physics you can show that you are able to still take classes and do well. Will you need math as well? Keep me up to date on your progress. Good luck.

How did you make it through school with only one semester of orgo? I thought 2 was standard for all PharmD programs. I couldn’t imagine going on to biochemistry, med chem, etc without all of that.

I have AP credits for CalcI, got an A in calcII, and withdrew from multivariable calc at the end of the semester(though would’ve actually gotten an A with the curve, oh well!). I would think that I wouldn’t need to retake math. My program also required two semesters of expository writing, psychology, and one semester of microeconomics (I also took macro as an elective), so I think I’m covered for most of the non-science stuff.

Everyone has anecdotal cases of someone they knew who went back post-residency or fellowship, but I have yet to meet anyone who has actually done this. I’m curious as to what you’re finding. Some people are very supportive of my decision, and others make me feel like a black sheep for turning my back to the $$$ and not helping to advance the profession instead.

Thanks!

~alison

oh, and i was just perusing the SDN boards and saw someone listed as bigpharmd there. if you are one and the same, ironically, we are in the same specialty.

Why would you ever want to do MD/DO school if you are a PharmD??? Wow, you already make more money than most family docs and you get to help people as it is…I mean you already put in 4 years of school for the PharmD…and you wanna do 4 more plus residency? I would definitely rethink it all

• OnceUponATime Said:
Why would you ever want to do MD/DO school if you are a PharmD??? Wow, you already make more money than most family docs and you get to help people as it is...I mean you already put in 4 years of school for the PharmD...and you wanna do 4 more plus residency? I would definitely rethink it all

OnceUponATime,

Actually you'd be surprised if you knew the number of members on here who made as much, if not more, than a family doctor, when they decided to pursue medicine.

It is hard to explain. The same reason why NPs, PAs, and RNs decide to go back to medical school. Also the same reason why engineers, bankers, and lawyers decide to go back. If I was doing this for the money I would stay with my current profession.

what did u decide? just came across this, and graduated with pharm d 4 years ago, and want to go to med school…am 29, and missed the boat for this year and next, so will try for 2012, when i’m 31…any advice?