PhD Microbiologist Considering Med School

Greetings! I have pondered the med school question for the past year, all the while getting older (I’m 35 now). I’m realizing time’s a wasting and I need to seek advice. This forum is a God-send and I’m newly registered as today!

I received my B.S. in Biology in 1996 not doing well in my core pre-med classes (average of C). I went on to get my PhD in Microbiology and Molecular Biology with an average GPA of 3.8, with research in genetic mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in the staphylococci and biofilm development to medical devices.

I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for the past 8 years in R&D (vaccine development) and as a Medical Scientist facilitating clinical research trials and acting as medical expert in the areas of infectious disease, hepatology, neurology, dermatology and ocular surface disease.

I’ve published 5 papers and have been on several abstracts accepted for oral presentations at hepatology conferences. So with this background my questions are:

1. Do I need to retake my core pre-med classes or, will my PhD grades, research and publications make me an acceptable candidate?

2. Would I need to retake my core pre-med courses anyway to score well on the MCAT exam or can I get away with taking either the Kaplan or PR classes.

Your feedback is appreciated and have a wonderful day!
  • microwiz Said:
Greetings! I have pondered the med school question for the past year, all the while getting older (I'm 35 now). I'm realizing time's a wasting and I need to seek advice. This forum is a God-send and I'm newly registered as today!

I received my B.S. in Biology in 1996 not doing well in my core pre-med classes (average of C). I went on to get my PhD in Microbiology and Molecular Biology with an average GPA of 3.8, with research in genetic mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in the staphylococci and biofilm development to medical devices.

I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for the past 8 years in R&D (vaccine development) and as a Medical Scientist facilitating clinical research trials and acting as medical expert in the areas of infectious disease, hepatology, neurology, dermatology and ocular surface disease.

I've published 5 papers and have been on several abstracts accepted for oral presentations at hepatology conferences. So with this background my questions are:

1) Do I need to retake my core pre-med classes or, will my PhD grades, research and publications make me an acceptable candidate?

2) Would I need to retake my core pre-med courses anyway to score well on the MCAT exam or can I get away with taking either the Kaplan or PR classes.

Your feedback is appreciated and have a wonderful day!

I forgot to mention that I teach Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology (wanted to continue to challenge myself) on the weekends.

Can I continue to teach during medical school or is there really no time for working at all.

Thanks!

I think this should answer most of your questions:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…