PhD to MD

Hi all,
I’m a long time SDN member but just joined OPM. I’m graduating this spring with my PhD in chemistry, and I’ll be starting medical school this fall. I plan to go into academic medicine. Right now I’m thinking I’ll do pain research. I have some prior experience with this field, and I feel that my chemistry background will be an asset.

Hey Q - nice to see you over here! Welcome to OPM!
Amy

Quote:

Hi all,
I’m a long time SDN member but just joined OPM. I’m graduating this spring with my PhD in chemistry, and I’ll be starting medical school this fall. I plan to go into academic medicine. Right now I’m thinking I’ll do pain research. I have some prior experience with this field, and I feel that my chemistry background will be an asset.

Yeah Q, it took awile for you to come over to the “oldside”!!
PS- I’m 1Path on SDN

Ha ha, yeah, it did. I thought this site was just for pre-meds, and I was already through all of the pre-reqs/MCAT/apps so I thought there wasn’t any point for me to join now. But OldManDave said that it’s for everyone, even residents and physicians, so…here I am. How have things been going for you? I haven’t seen much of you on SDN lately.

Hey Q!
Thought I’d say howdy, too.

Thanks, you guys. Wow, the whole non-trad gang is here. I saw efex too. I must have been the only person who didn’t know that I should join OPM.

We’re glad you’re here! Sometimes this place keeps me sane after some posts I read in the pre-allo forum from SDN. For the most part, everyone here speaks from their heart, and in the past 6 months or so, every one has been extremely helpful, and no one hurtful. You don’t get that on many anonymous boards… that’s why I love OPM!

Quote:

Hi all,

Q,

Let me offer my personal welcome to OPM! I am glad to see you have chosen to come over, join & now participate in OPM. I think you have a wealth of info & experience to contribute & I look forward to many interactions with you.

You will find that a large %-age of those on the non-trad SDN forum are here as well…and we wish there were more. SDN & OPM go back a long way! I was one of the original SDN members & joined there about the time OPM was coming into existance. At one time, OPM’s website lived on the SDN server. So, our cooperative relationship is long-term & healthy. We just think of ourselves as a quieter, more accomodating organization that seeks only a mature audience/membership - we prefer to avoid the less productive interactions we all see on SDN & other web-based groups.

Again, welcome to OldPreMeds!

Hi Q! yup this site is totally different from SDN although I do enjoy also hanging out there but only in specific forums…welcome!

Hi there,
Welcome to the group. I moderate both places and have been a member of both groups for a long time. SDN is a great resource with very good people.
I finished my Ph.D (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)while attending medical school. I only needed a few revisons and got them done easily. I was accepted by two law schools last year but have elected to finish residency before pursuing my legal studies. I have a strong interest in healthcare reform (I am ready to toss the entire U.S. system). For now, my surgical residency and admissions work keeps me pretty busy.
Natalie (aka njbmd)

Quote:

How have things been going for you? I haven’t seen much of you on SDN lately.

I’m a daily visitor here, on Mommd, and on Minorities in Research and Medicine (MRM). With parenting and such, that doesn’t leave much time for “debates” with folks on SDN. And let me keep it real, I’m trying HARD to keep my exposure to negativity down to a bare minimum these days.

Wow, njb, you’re going to go to law school now too!!! Respect.

Understandable. Pre-allo seems particularly acrimonious lately. And I’m pretty sick of seeing those “Should I go to Harvard versus Yale versus Penn” threads, especially because no one has even been accepted to any of those schools yet. Also, I hate when people bash schools. I want to say, “If you don’t like how a school runs its admissions office, then don’t apply there.” Sigh.
BTW, I have a date set for my defense: March 31. I’ve been writing up my thesis and I have about 45 pages so far. It’s slow going, especially since I keep finding compounds that are missing data, and I have to go back and get the data, or even worse, remake the compounds.
Anyway, it’s hard to believe, but it’s really going to happen…I’m going to graduate!!!

Welcome to OPM and enjoy!