physician shadowing

Thanks Kim. I have 84 credits but most of those don’t even count toward my new major of Biology, so I too am starting at the beginning. I guess part of me thought it was “silly” to be asking doctors to let me shadow them when I’m so far from the goal myself. But you are right. I am competing with people 10 years younger than me whose job it is to go to school meanwhile I have a job, school, and a family. I have started volunteering but that is something I have always done actually, I just added more to it and have started searching for some more “clinical” type volunteer opportunities. I do have 2 friends that are doctors locally so perhaps I will ask them, I am sure they will let me shadow and perhaps can open the door to other docs who might let me shadow them as well.

My suggestion for getting shadowing opportunities? Be creative and persistent, like everything else in applying to medical school.

I went back to school to complete my pre-meds, but my program did not have any opportunities for shadowing. My mom has also been sick throughout my classes, so although I saw her doctors nearly every day, I didn’t feel comfortable blurring the personal-professional line by asking to shadow her docs. I sent out small feelers to friends and former colleagues in the past year, but no bites (no doctors in my family). Finally, when things started to get desperate, I contacted a very nice secretary at a lab I worked at ten years ago - she managed to put me in touch with current residents and fellows, and I’ve managed to line up over ten hours of shadowing in the next week alone. So have a good CV ready to attach to your emails, and don’t be afraid to reach out to anybody you know who might know an MD!

While I have a resume, what is the best way to formulate a CV for the prospect of shadowing? Any good format I can use?

Good question Krisss, I was wondering about that too.

Here is some of the advice I got from the med school’s physician shadowing workshop yesterday.

First, they said it’s probably easiest to go to a physician you know. This workshop was for all ages, so I kind of think it’s easier for Susie to go to her family doc and tell her how much she admired her and wants to shadow her. I feel like a dork.

Second, if you are going to cold-call someone, they recommended the following. Go in person to the doctor’s office. Bring a letter explaining who you are, why you want to shadow, and any qualifications you have (those of us who were at the workshop were “trained” in HIPPA and some other things). Have a conversation with the receptionist and ask her to give your letter to the Dr. and follow up in a week or so. I haven’t tried it, but I might.