physician shadowing

It seems like shadowing a physician is almost necessary if you want to get into med school, but no one really says how many, what type, and for how long. Does anyone out there know what kind of numbers to shoot for?

I’m currently shadowing a DO and an MD, (both family practice because thats what I want to go into)but i’m not really sure how many hours i need to impress the admins. Anyone out there have any input?

Shoot, I’d like to know HOW to get in w/ a doctor to shadow.

I’ve dropped a few feelers out there but no one is biting and I’m not sure how to “officially” go about that.

^ ^ ^ I s’pose you could find a DO mentor to shadow here: http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm

It seems to be AOA affiliated. I’ve not tried it, but will do so soon enough, when I get all my ducks lined up and am ready to go, etc.

I tried a more direct approach, I set up an appoitnment for a basic check-up (and found out I have high blood pressure, thanks alot med school application process) and just asked them. I was very fortunate because I was able to find out what doctors in my area have residents come through and are used to teaching (one of them actually teaches at one of the schools I’m applying to). I was also able to find out which ones were generally nice and receptive from my wife who is a medical sales rep.

University of Washington (sorry folks, I refer to them since they are the only one in my area) have a medical brochure that actually says at least 40 hours job shadowing a physician. I found it in writing! However, I cannot find that on their website anywhere. That does not include other clinical hours or volunteer work. It strictly refers to job shadow hours.

I was fortunate to be taking a class with an ER doctor. I was able to shadow him and clocked 7 hours. He gave me the contact info for another more local ER doctor (he is 4 hours away). My OB/GYN trains residents and when I mentioned/asked her in passing she thought that you had to have credentials. She is Medical Director of an extremely busy hospital in Seattle and trains residents. I told her I would talk to her about it more later. Later is upon me and I am hoping that she says yes. Since, she does all the wonderful, interesting surgeries. I will know in a week.

• Dullhead Said:
^ ^ ^ I s'pose you could find a DO mentor to shadow here: http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm

It seems to be AOA affiliated. I've not tried it, but will do so soon enough, when I get all my ducks lined up and am ready to go, etc.

I just did a hunt and apparently it seems you must already be affiliated w/ a med school to shadow them, unless I'm understanding it wrong. I did try to do a search though and w/o a specific SOM it showed no results.
  • BOOBS Said:
I just did a hunt and apparently it seems you must already be affiliated w/ a med school to shadow them, unless I'm understanding it wrong. I did try to do a search though and w/o a specific SOM it showed no results.

I personally found it a little difficult to shadow a physician at a medical school. The only reason I was allowed to was because a well known outside pathologist was willing to vouch for me.

At what point in your undergraduate “career” should you start shadowing? I’m already doing a bunch of volunteering, and I’ve shadowed a little bit (we have several family friends that are doctors) but I still have quite a ways to go as a UG. Should I save the shadows for later or go ahead and get a jump on this?

I don’t know for sure, but it seems to me that the more experience you can get the better, so if you have the opportunity to shadow now, I would get after it.

• BOOBS Said:

Give it another shot (if interested in shadowing a DO and ready for the time commitment.)

I entered only my city and state, and selected a method of communication. It came up with 10-15 results, and I selected 2-3 physicians from that list. Then I hit the "Request Mentor" button and was taken to a registration page (I did not complete the registration -- I'm not ready for the time commitment yet.)

Also, from the FAQ:

• THE WEBSITE Said:
How do I shadow a DO?

It is a requirement of most colleges of osteopathic medicine to submit a letter of recommendation from a DO along with the application. Shadowing an osteopathic physician is the best way to obtain a letter of recommendation. To find a mentor to shadow log on to the site by visiting the Mentor Exchange page (if it is your first time logging on you will need to create a profile) and search for a mentor.

Good luck. To reach the FAQ, click on "Home" on the website link I provided earlier, and on the home page, click on "About the Program." You'll see the link to the FAQ on the right hand side.

Oh well, I already have a letter of recomendation lol. My ped has guaranteed me one. Then when I bring the kids in for a visit, she has me check them over with her telling me it’s time for me to learn. Pretty sure it doesn’t officially count as shadowing and since I’m not w/ the college they partner with I can’t get in with her, but at least I’m learning something.

I’ll go try it again to see if there is a more local city (I’m in the sticks) than a town w/ an osteopathic school.

In playing with the options on the search page, I found that selecting “Email” as the communication method generated the greatest number of results for my city. Selecting multiple options limited the results to the common denominator. Try selecting only one communication method - either Email, or Phone, or Face to Face, etc to see what results are generated.

• pathdr2b Said:
I personally found it a little difficult to shadow a physician at a medical school. The only reason I was allowed to was because a well known outside pathologist was willing to vouch for me.

Not 100% sure, but I think the mentors listed on the website I provided are not located at med schools, because San Diego generated 10-15 results and there's no D.O. school here. Therefore, I assume they are all in private practice or affiliated with group healthcare providers.

My local med school has a workshop that I am going to at the end of the month for “preparing students shadow physicians, observe doctor-patient communications, learn about the roles other healthcare professionals play, participate in community health programs, and write patient case summaries. Selected students will participate in breakout sessions which they learn sterile techniques, the fundamentals of taking a medical history, and learn about professionalism and patient confidentiality.”

It doesn’t SAY that they will help you find a doctor to shadow, but I hope that they do. If not, at least they can provide some tips on how to find one on your own.

For the rest of y’all, you might look into your local school’s “prospective student” programs to see if they have anything similar.

I live in San Diego and I found a D.O. to shadow. The way that I did it was pretty simple - I just went to his office and asked for a few minutes of his time. I explained what I wanted to do, which was shadow for one week, and explained to him the reasons I was interested in medicine. He asked me about my background and what I knew about osteopathic medicine. Just go to the office looking presentable, confident, and know what your goals and you should have no problems finding a D.O. to shadow. You might have to try more than once, but its worth it.

Ummmm… I would be hesitant to endorse the personal “cold call.” It wouldn’t go over very well with me or my staff; the day is just too busy for me to be willing to give an unannounced person even a minute of my time.

I would suggest that you have a written statement to leave with the physician’s staff, explaining what you’re interested in and that you would welcome his/her assistance in your pursuit. Provide contact information and if you don’t hear anything within a week, call back and leave a nice reminder message.

Be sure you know the practice’s name, find out if they have a website, see what you can find out about the physician(s) in the practice. Research their practice and google the docs. You will have information that can help you to make a convincing, personal comment about why you want to shadow this particular doctor.

For example: if you Google me, you’ll find a bunch of links to those “physician grades” websites, where you actually have to pay to find out anything about a doctor. But you can also find my practice website, where you can read about me, where I studied and trained, etc. You can also find a community website where people say nice things about me. You can also research physicians in a particular state - many state Boards of Medicine have websites where you can research a doctor’s educational background and get other useful information about him/her.

Anyway, knowing who you’re approaching for a favor is going to help you. Which of the following approaches do you think I’m going to like better:

“Hi Dr. Renard, I’m thinking I’d like to go to medical school and I was wondering if I could spend some time with you.”

“Hi Dr. Renard, family practice intrigues me and I will have to do a self-directed post-bacc - I’m thinking about George Mason. I would love to spend a few hours watching what you do in your office.”

Not suck-up exactly, just informed. Lets me know that you’ve done your homework, and I’m more inclined to be helpful to someone who’s already demonstrated some initiative.

Mary

See that is why we keep you around Mary. You are always full of insightful little tidbits that keep us on the straight an narrow.

Thanks so much.

My OB/GYN said YES to job shadowing on one of her on-call days. Terribly excited. She does all the amazing cutting edge surgeries and techniques. I look forward to talking to her about how she manages to be a mother, wife, director, remains board certified and also has a social life. She is amazing.

Another doctor from the University of Washington called me back and she is willing to have me job shadow. I am thrilled. I can’t wait to see the Universities ER in action. I was nervous to make the calls and ask for what seems to me a huge favor. But, it was a big fat YES.

I do want to tell you that one hospitals admins email was really strange. Like they didn’t believe I had permission by the doctor to shadow. They said something about not receiving credit for the shadowing. (Ummmm, I just need to shadow). I was going to email him back, but I called instead. I explained that I was spreading the job shadowing around to different hospitals and doctors. I also told him that I was trying to start the paperwork, some places want drug testing and background checks. That I was a mother of three, volunteer, student and flight attendant. All of my time had to be carefully planned out so that I can meet all requirements in the next few years…woolah! attitude change. It became an “OH! OH! No problem will send you the link immediately.” Thank you very much! The University Admin said that they have students through often and they just asked that we only did a day or two. (I have to admit I don’t have guilt about burdening UW hospitals with my presence. They require the 40 hours of job shadowing in order to apply to their Medical School.)

Way to go Kim! That gives me hope in asking for some shadowing favors in the upcoming future!

By the way, how close are you to applying for med school? I just want to get an idea of how soon I need or should start shadowing…also how should I keep track of the shadowing, how are others keeping track of their shadowing? Just by memory or what?

Rhonda-

I am only in my 2nd quarter. I am at the beginning. I have 3 years to complete. My plate is full, so I am of the mind that it is better to start early than put it off. I would like to shadow someone every 3 months or so. It reminds me of why I am in school and to dig into each class. There is a purpose and goal. So, for me the shadowing is inspiring. I want to apply to the University of Washington and they require at least 40 hours of job shadowing in order to apply. The other issue being that the hospitals in the area really only want a person in 1-2 days of shadowing. This won’t achieve my 40 hours so this would allow me time to find other doctors to complete the 40. We are competing with 20 year olds who’s entire job is to go to school and become doctors. They can do the 40 hour a week research projects, they can do tons and tons of shadowing. I cannot. So, to be competitive I am starting my shadowing early on. This applies to my volunteer work. I am starting that now so that medical schools can see that I am not here to mess around.

I am also thinking of contacting a surgeon in Anchorage who left me his card. I assisted him on the plane during a medical emergency. See if he would let me shadow on a long layover. My husband’s ex-uncle in law is a Professor at Boston U and I was thinking about bugging him too. Gives me slight anxiety to ask, but, how can someone say YES if never given the opportunity?

Is there a doctor or med student that would like to reply to my thinking on this matter? Is this reasonable?