Physics or Bio 1st?

I met with ASU’s academic advisor yesterday for pre-med and they told me that their pre-med students take the classes as follows:

1st Semester: Bio 1, Chem 1

2nd Semester: Bio 2, Chem 2

3rd Semester: Physics 1, Orgo Chem 1

4th Semester: Physics 2, Orgo Chem 2

I know that Orgo chem takes A LOT of time and many believe that Physics should be taken in the first year and bio in the 2nd. Is that what you would suggest? I have never taken a Physics class; what math is typically needed before you take that? The most I have taken is college algebra and that was years ago. I am thinking about taking another college algebra class in the 1st semester to brush up. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Just a few comments:

1. algebra/trigonometry is not only needed not only heavily for physics but also moderately for chemistry. It may behoove you to either take a course this summer (likely too late) are get one of the self study guides now and work thru it as you would a class so you will be ready in the fall

2)you also need a year of advanced bio after freshman bio, and that should be put in your plan as well.

3)“rule 7 : learn to be a student” especially if you have been our of college for some time.

2. Comments above are solely my opinion. Your mileage may vary

Jerilyn, your advisor has me worried! How the heck did you leave there without knowing what math you needed for your required classes?

It seems like most nontrads around here with long-time-ago math classes have to take a placement test. (Their schools require it.)

If I were you, I would see if ASU has a math placement test you can take. Best case, you will test out of College Algebra and place in Precalculus for the fall. Worst case, take algebra in the fall. At least you will know where you stand. Many med schools require calculus as a prereq - do you know if you will need it where you’re applying?

I think you can get through bio 1 and chem 1 without too much Algebra and no trig, so you would probably be fine for fall.

The course catalog should tell you what the math prereq is for physics I, and if you do a placement test, you will know if you’re okay or need to take a math class beforehand.

The main problem I see with physics and ochem together is that they are usually both 5 hr classes with lab. Rule of thumb, 3 hrs studying for each our in class and you have 10 hr class+ 30 hrs studying per week. You will know better after first semester how much you can juggle with work.

And actually answering the question, Physics or Bio first. . .

In your case, Biology, because you may need to brush up on math prior to physics.

Others recommend taking Biology after Chem (hence physics first to balance the credit hours/semester) because chemistry is used in biology to explain stuff like cellular respiration. In fact, the first chapter of my biology class was Chem review (atomic structure and the very basic stuff). You’ll probably be fine to take bio & chem concurrently. . .just depends how much deep the bio instructor gets into the chem of what is happening (hopefully not very deep).

I definitely think that you should take Biology first. Physics is brutal and if you don’t even have the math, frankly, you will do badly.

Best to start out slow anyway-for many people, Biology is the easiest course, unless you have an issue with lots of rote memorization. I personally found Biology really interesting and fun; helps to have good notes, and hopefully the prof will provide those.

My advisor actually recomended me NOT taking orgo and physics together as both are intensive and I up my chances taking extra maths/bios before physics of getting the A’s I want.

I can attest that the math even for chem can be difficult as somehow I got in w/o the pre req having done terribly in the math class the semester before (I simply struggle with math and a 6 week course was WAY too fast for me). Even with that I never took a trig class, and the end of chem II had me thoroughly confused and in the professor’s office non stop asking for help as I’d never seen a tangent before lol.

I’d second the advice to check the courses and make sure you are strong in the pre requisites before jumping into any of the math oriented sciences.

• gonnif Said:
Just a few comments:

1) algebra/trigonometry is not only needed not only heavily for physics but also moderately for chemistry. It may behoove you to either take a course this summer (likely too late) are get one of the self study guides now and work thru it as you would a class so you will be ready in the fall

2)you also need a year of advanced bio after freshman bio, and that should be put in your plan as well.

3)"rule 7 : learn to be a student" especially if you have been our of college for some time.

4) Comments above are solely my opinion. Your mileage may vary

Jerilyn, I was going to comment, but gonnif as always beat me to it, and it is very hard for me to add anything more.

I also strongly suggest that if you haven't been in school for awhile, I would definitely suggest you take it slow to start. I remember that my first two classes were intermediate algebra and psychology...and that gave me the push and motivation to go on.

While I didn't see the need for trig for chemistry, algebra is a definite must for chemistry. Most people that had difficulty with chemistry from the beginning was due to the fact of not having strong enough algebra skills.
  • Krisss17 Said:

Most people that had difficulty with chemistry from the beginning was due to the fact of not having strong enough algebra skills.

Ya know, at first I was thinking chem 1 would be fine w/o a strong algebra background.. .my school has equilibrium and acid/base stuff in chem 2, and that was where the algebra got hairy. But, I DID listen to some online lectures for chem 1 at other universities, and they had eq and a/b chem in chem 1. I guess it depends on your school and better to be safe and have the math.
  • AliJ Said:
  • Krisss17 Said:

Most people that had difficulty with chemistry from the beginning was due to the fact of not having strong enough algebra skills.

Ya know, at first I was thinking chem 1 would be fine w/o a strong algebra background.. .my school has equilibrium and acid/base stuff in chem 2, and that was where the algebra got hairy. But, I DID listen to some online lectures for chem 1 at other universities, and they had eq and a/b chem in chem 1. I guess it depends on your school and better to be safe and have the math.

Actually, I had students that I tutored that had difficulties with the math right from the beginning with scientific notation, etc.

My struggle in chem I was thermodynamics. The math threw me especially when adding reactions together and accounting for enthalpy changes.

Even something as simple as unit analysis (ie mile/hour conversion to feet/second) seems to throw some people the first week of class. I found especially useful on physics for MCAT stuff.

I must be one of the crazy people for all that I love biology and enjoy it, I found physics much easier for exams

• gonnif Said:
Even something as simple as unit analysis (ie mile/hour conversion to feet/second) seems to throw some people the first week of class. I found especially useful on physics for MCAT stuff.

I must be one of the crazy people for all that I love biology and enjoy it, I found physics much easier for exams

I have to say that I'm looking forward to taking physics this year. Maybe I'm maturing ;), since I had let it intimidate the heck out of me a few yaars ago!