Planning to try my luck at 41 for 2005

Hello,
Medical world has always charmed me. However, I am a biomedical engineer with two MS degrees in engineering. I plan to apply for 2005. I plan to take MCAT in April, 2004. If I make it to the med school in 2005I will be 41 yrs old at that time. That mean by the time I complete my residency I will be 50 [considering everything happens the way I am dreaming]. I want to be a radiologist.
I really need moral support and experience of the peers in terms of real world experience at that age. I also want to know if they have problems geeting jobs or feeling out of place both in the med school, residency and at the job.
Please help me with all the info'. I want to fulfil my aspiration before it is too late.
thanks

I can't help you with my experience, because I'm just starting on this journey myself. But I was born in 1963 myself, and plan to take the MCAT April 2004. So we can jump in the fire together. You'll find plenty of support around here!

QUOTE (Fonzy @ Dec 26 2002, 09:12 PM)
Hello,
Medical world has always charmed me. However, I am a biomedical engineer with two MS degrees in engineering. I plan to apply for 2005. I plan to take MCAT in April, 2004. If I make it to the med school in 2005I will be 41 yrs old at that time. That mean by the time I complete my residency I will be 50 [considering everything happens the way I am dreaming]. I want to be a radiologist.
I really need moral support and experience of the peers in terms of real world experience at that age. I also want to know if they have problems geeting jobs or feeling out of place both in the med school, residency and at the job.
Please help me with all the info'. I want to fulfil my aspiration before it is too late.
thanks

Hi Fonz,
You are preaching to the choir here because we have so many stories that will let you know that it is never "too late" to pursue your dream. Linda Wilson is starting medical school at the very young age of 51. Mary Renard started medical school at the age of 44 and I started medical school at age 46. I am now 50 and the oldest surgery intern ( or intern in any discipline for that matter) at my institution. You are going to find plenty of support here from folks along the jouney. We have had varied careers and paths into medicine but we all love it here and pursue our dreams with tenacity.
Post from time to time or just lurk around. We love lurkers as well as posters. You are going to find lots of support here. When you feel down, we can pick you up. There are some folks who are downright funny here so you may find yourself laughing out loud at some experience that someone has posted. You are also going to find support when you are so overworked with the classes and studying that you start to question your sanity for taking on the "beastly" pursuit of medical school.
So kick back and click away. There is plenty of experience here and we look forward to you adding some too. Welcome to the group!
Nat cool.gif

Hi,
I'm trying at 44, I've taken classes in chem, bio, math and eng. So far I done quite well. I won't apply until 47-48, and this makes me alittle nervous. Age is the only thing that concerns me about medical school.
SusanB

What is so strange to me is that I'm old enough to be some of my fellow students mother. My husband and I went to by books for my next round of classes today, and I did not see any older students.
I do believe we older students have strategy over the agile minds of the yonger students.
We have learned at our age that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
SusanB

Fonzy, Susan (and all others in their 40s or beyond)
When I went back to undergrad work at the ripe age of 47, it was just to see if my brain still worked. And I'm sure you'll find, as I did, that, miracle of miracles, it does!! And, actually, I think it works better now than when I was 20. Life experience seems to have given me the ability to focus on the really important stuff a lot more directly.
Don't let your age become an obstacle when applying to med school. Yes, as we get older, the process of admission may be somewhat more difficult, but with our life experience and knowledge far beyond what a traditional student may have, we bring a lot to the table. What you need to do is focus on reaching the light at the end of the tunne.
For me, that meant two application cycles, striving after the first one to improve my application by completing two more semesters of 'A' grades in upper level classes, and continuing with my research project on SLE. It also meant networking and developing a stronger self confidence, and a means of portraying that confidence without seeming arrogant.
And I have found that OPM has been one of the best support groups one could hope for. Advice, guidance, counseling, encouragement, and many other benefits have been reaped from among the membership of this fine organization. So, don't hesitate to ask questions, make comments, share victories and defeats.
As Natalie already said (although she was generous. I actually turned 52 on Christmas, if you believe the calendar), I am beginning med school in August. I did not have the perfect gpa or the best MCAT, but I do have the determination and dedication necessary to become a good physician. . . . and that is exactly what I plan to do!
Best of luck as you begin your studies!

Thank you for the encouragement!
SusanB

I will be 41 on the 21st of this month. I am more afraid of not going for my dreams than I am of turning 41. It has taken many years to feel this way. I will be 43 when I apply to medical school. Being on the path at this age is more invigorating than stifling a dream.
Duckey

QUOTE (Duckey @ Jan 9 2003, 11:05 PM)
I will be 41 on the 21st of this month. I am more afraid of not going for my dreams than I am of turning 41. It has taken many years to feel this way. I will be 43 when I apply to medical school. Being on the path at this age is more invigorating than stifling a dream.
Duckey

That's exactly how I feel. On my brave days, anyway. Thank you for expressing it so beautifully.

You all are continuous source of inspiration. Now I consider that more important than completing pre-reqs and taking MCAT.
thanks and let us keep talking…