Please be honest, I can take it.

Hi. Please let me start off by stating that this is the most inspirational website that I’ve come across in a long time.

Here is my honest situation. I have a BS in Bio and got that in 2001, with a 2.96 GPA. Seven years later after being in the workforce I decided to get my Master’s in Bio to boost my GPA, which is not working in my favor because I have forgotten everything that I previously learned and I am constantly struggling to stay afloat. Last semester I made a 2.2, hopefully this semester the GPA will go up. I am putting forth all efforts to do so. I WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING TO BECOME A PHYSICIAN, but do not know where I am able to make myself stand out as a candidate because I have not yet taken my MCATS. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any input is welcomed, as long as it is honest. Thank you.

You can look up the averaged scores of the med school you are interested in. I don’t know that a rockin’ MCAT makes up for a low GPA. Just from everything I have read. Your competition is other students with high GPA’s and great MCAT’s. I only wonder if you will even get the chance at an interview to explain your grades. Uff dah. What do I know? I hope you get replies from someone that has "been there, done that"and still succeeded. Best of wishes and if this is your calling, don’t give up!

Hello Sharrone,

I can only say to keep trying as hard as you can. I myself had a bad showing with my first degree with a GPA of 2.06. After 3 years in the work force, I went back to school to get another bachelors’ degree, my own post bacc program if you will. I now have a gpa of 3.65 and my MCAT score was only 25. I got accepted to a school I really liked, EVMS (Eastern Virginia Medical School). So it can happen for you. but take a realistic approach at how you are studying and evaluate the competition. Like Kimberly H said, there are lots of students with awesome GPAs and great MCAT but you have to be alittle different and bring something else to the table. It is rough to try and rmeember everything you took a while ago, whihc is why i just did another degree from scratch. I hope this helps.

DeVon P.

Be very careful about your academic performance - at the graduate level pulling a 4.0 should not be an unrealistic objective.

I agree with Dazed. At the Master’s level the medical schools are expecting nothing less than 3.0 and will be hard pressed to accept reasons why it is not higher.

You need to prove to the adcoms that you can do the work that is needed to complete the program. what ever is keeping your GPA from graduate school below a 3, needs to be addressed ASAP and rectified. We are here to help you but in the end only you can do the work and bring up your grades.

• gabelerman Said:
I agree with Dazed. At the Master's level the medical schools are expecting nothing less than 3.0 and will be hard pressed to accept reasons why it is not higher.

Actually, a 3.0 in a Master's program means next to nothing since the lowest GPA you can graduate with is a 3.0.

I'd take a long hard look at my study habits/motivation before taking another class.

Having said that, if you can do well and I mean nothing less than a 3.7, then you'd have a decent shot depending on your MCAT's.

On a side note, I earned an MS in Chemistry with a 3.8 to make up for my undergraduate grades and was accepted to medical school years back.

And then you run into the clowns like me who had a 3.0 undergrad from DeVry (1985) and a 4.0 in prereqs at a local CC, 25 MCAT and got waitlisted then accepted. Truly, God intervened in my case.

Figure out what you’re prepared to do and if you just won’t take no for an answer…and answer deep down from your gut, not what others want you to answer, but what you REALLY want…

• OMTDave Said:
....and answer deep down from your gut, not what others want you to answer, but what you REALLY want....

I agree with OMTDave. There has to be some value placed in a person who works 20-40 Hrs/wk, supports a family, and goes to school PT to pursue a dream versus a kid that has been a full time student making 2.5-4.0 in every class. You've got to sell yourself and your desire.

Right now, I'd love to have the opportunity to be a FT student while someone else covered all my bills. I'd be making 3.0-4.0 in every class.
  • Mikey Said:
  • OMTDave Said:
....and answer deep down from your gut, not what others want you to answer, but what you REALLY want....

I agree with OMTDave. There has to be some value placed in a person who works 20-40 Hrs/wk, supports a family, and goes to school PT to pursue a dream versus a kid that has been a full time student making 2.5-4.0 in every class. You've got to sell yourself and your desire.

Right now, I'd love to have the opportunity to be a FT student while someone else covered all my bills. I'd be making 3.0-4.0 in every class.

Mikey - there are lots of people out there who have to work, support their family and somehow they maintain high GPAs. And more likely than not, you guys will be competing against these people when applying to med school.

Having said that, you have to identify what is the reason for which you're not getting good grades! No matter how well you do on your MCAT, no med school is going to accept you if they can see strong commitment to hard work, which is best reflected in good grades. After all the last thing you want to happen is to get accepted to medical school, take loans to pay for it and... not be able to graduate because you won't be passing your classes.

You have to figure out what is preventing you from performing well at school and fix it ASAP.

Kasia

Agreed w/ the rest. Take whatever time you need to figure out what’s holding you back now, and find a way to solve it. Your path from here is doable - you need to really demonstrate that you will excel, though. And the best way to do that is by excelling, yeah?

Don’t push yourself or hurry yourself or anything like that. Figure your stuff out, ace your classes, and take care of those kinds of things. Don’t even worry about the MCAT right now (except in understanding that the best MCAT prep is a strong analytical base and a solid understanding of the relevant coursework).

Good luck!

Thank you I appreciate that.

Wow! Thank you guys very much, I really appreciate all of your posts. You guys are truly supportive. I will take a bit of time and figure out the best road for me.