post-bac advice and work load

Hi everyone!
The forums have been extremely helpful…well I’m a non-traditional student-which I’d like to believe…
Well I’m attending a 15 month Post-bac program in the Fall.
I’ll be required to take 2 classes a semester/3 days a week.
I’m plan on continuing into a Masters program if necessary.
I graduated from college 9 years ago with a low GPA. I did work full-time during college to pay for school and that didn’t help my grades. I was busy all the time doing something!
Now I’m more mature and have slowed down to focus. I need advice about planning my pre-med goals. Currently I work as a cancer research technologist at UMDNJ-affiliated with the the 2 med schools in NJ.
My entire 17 years of working have been in the medical feild! I’ve done everything from volunteering, to working in the kitchen to research…I’m also single with no children.
I don’t want to repeat my past-Can anyone please tell me-what type of work load did you have when you did post-bac work? Should I stop working and just volunteer? What GPA is realistic for consideration? What about a masters?
I need help planning my life outside of school- I am wlling to make the sacrifices. I want to make the grades!!
If these topics were discussed in another forum please let me know…
Thanks!

Quote:

I don’t want to repeat my past-Can anyone please tell me-what type of work load did you have when you did post-bac work? Should I stop working and just volunteer? What GPA is realistic for consideration? What about a masters?

The work load is going to depend on you. Since you indicated that you need to overcome past grades, you need to rock in your post-bac work. There are those on this site who worked full time while taking two classes a semester, so it can be done. A lot of it will depend on what classes you are taking. Lab classes take up a lot more time than non-lab classes.
I don’t know that you need to quit working and volunteer if you have extensive volunteering experience over the past 17 years. I did pretty much no volunteering when I was doing post-bac work because I just didn’t have time. I worked 20-30 hours a week while taking a full course load (four science/math classes), but my job also often allowed me a lot of time to study.
I realize this isn’t much help, but every person is different in what they are able to handle. You will have to find the balance on your own that allows you to do the best you possibly can in these courses.
Its hard to give a GPA. Many people get in with less than subpar GPA’s because their bad grades were many years ago and they have shown a recent, positive upward trend. Read OldManDave’s story. There are some schools, though, that will eliminate you from consideration early based on a GPA cut-off. Most schools will consider the overall package. A master’s is not really necessary. Often upper level science coursework will suffice.
Will you be retaking the pre-req’s or taking them for the first time?
Amy

I worked part time and end up with slightly over a B average. Which put my cum at 3.11 which was enough to be considered and then my recommendations and interview were strong enough.
If you need a 4.0 to bring your undergrad up to at least a 3.0 I would recommend taking summer classes --more intense shorter classes and do it and nothing else. If your post bac program is a large university, I would definately just focus on school. If finances, you might even take 3 classes and then do it full time. Take one fun class or take a useful class like anatomy.