Post-bac timing: Spring ok? (Fall better?)

Hi folks. I’m new here and have been asking a bunch of questions lately, and everybody’s been super helpful. thanks for that.

My latest and greatest question is as follows:

I’m currently planning on starting a post-bac (probably a two-year) in the Fall… but I might have the opportunity to stay at my undergrad institution for an extra semester to do some research, in which case I would start in the Spring.

My question: is this a bad idea? Would starting in spring mess up the application process/timing?

(I still haven’t wrapped my head around the application timing and all that)…

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Depends on how you look at it. It will either delay your app by 6 months or give you 6 months. If all your prereqs are done by the end of the Fall that gives you the Spring to just study for the MCAT and then apply.

I would opt for the Spring start after all that’s what I’m doing. I start my prereqs this month and by next year all I have left is Orgo2. I will studying for the MCAT during this time since all I have is the one class, lab, and no job.

I’m sure others will chime in with better ideas.

I agree with croooz. I think it depends on how you view it and your timetable for applying. I do not think it affects the application since people apply whenever they have all their materials together so whether for you that’s 6 months earlier or 6 months later than anticipated, as long as all of your materials are together you should be fine.

My only advise is to time your application process very, very well. Some post-bac programs, because of the way they are structured, have students wait an extra year (“glide year”) which is oftentimes an excellent time to prep for MCAT, address academic weaknesses and generally prepare for the rigors of the application process. Do not rush. I think it is better to go slow and get it right the first time than to rush just because you want to get to medical school faster and thereby risk sending an application that is not as strong.

Overall, you should definitely speak with an advisor or a counselor who can look at your specific case and from there make recommendations that will ultimately benefit your application. Good luck!

As Old Man Dave says, “it’s a marathon not a sprint.” If you don’t have any research experience, this might be a good time to get some. Schools appreciate at least a little research work (for most schools, any field is fine).

Cheers,

Judy