Post Bacc and Low GPA

I got my undergrad last year in computer science. Six months later I do not enjoy my work and I can’t really see myself continuing in this field bar some very specific paths. I’ve always sort’ve floated the idea of med school since high school but the past couple months I’ve been seriously considering trying to get into med school. My cGPA for my undergrad is 2.78, mostly due to lack of real effort when in school and a horrendous freshman year, which is not really viable. My current plan is to take two full semesters during the two summer sessions at my local community college to boost my cGPA, knock off the intro courses that I didn’t have a chance to take at my university, and retake some courses I got low grades in. The hope is that I can boost my GPA and prove that I can keep up with the coursework this time around then get into one of the Post Bacc programs at my surrounding universities. Really just looking for some advice, critiques, or alternative options. Any response is appreciated.

Hi! Similar story here. Stay away from CC if you can. Med schools prefer rigorous courses which usually are from 4 -year institutions. I’m about to finish a DIY post back from my state university and I always got into the classes I wanted as a non-degree.
Cons:

• being on the edge of the seat until you know whether or not you’ll get into the class of your choice
  • paying out of pocket

Pros:

• class difficulty
    -adcoms=happy

What I did was I reached out to each professor a month before registration opened and explained my situation. They were more than happy to pass me up the line to where I was automatically enrolled into the class of my choice. I explained the class times available were the only ones that worked with my full time job.

Try to get a TA job or something that involves volunteering ASAP

Be sure to work out whether or not you have a true interest in becoming a physician. If you have not already, shadow some physicians and get some clinical exposure to feel that out. I wouldn’t pay for classes and do a whole bunch of work if you haven’t reflected and explored why you are interested in medicine.

Make sure it is a genuine interest in the medical field and not the dissatisfaction of your current field that is driving you to medicine.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice here guys. The plan is to just take a few courses at CC just to see if my interest in the subject is actually there like I think it is then go to a University for the rest of my higher level science courses like Micro-Bio and Org-Chem. I do plan on getting some shadowing and clinical experience in once I confirm my academic interest in the field as well. I believe that this is the right path for me and I’ve giving it a lot of thought over the past few months, of course only time will tell if it really is though. I’ve never been as excited as I am currently to start taking classes again so let’s hope that enthusiasm carries over. Again thanks for the advice and if you got anymore that would be appreciated.

1 Like

In my experience with healthcare (RN 6 years) the foundational sciences don’t really give you the picture you need to gauge your interest in medicine. Taking Biology and Organic Chemistry don’t show you what it means to take care of patients, they just give you foundational knowledge upon which you will start your learning in med school.

Hoping to gauge your interest in medical school from taking Orgo is probably not the best dipstick to use. Nothing beats getting clinical exposure and shadowing to help you develop your motivation for the pursuit of becoming a physician. Do what you think is best for you, but that is my take.

1 Like

I agree with you about the clinical experience. Definitely more important to actually work with patients and get hands on practice rather than learn just academically. I don’t plan on applying to med school for a few years and during that time I am gonna rack up as many clinical hours as I can, hopefully get a position shadowing, and maybe a research position as well. Right now I’m just confirming my interest in the academic side of things because if I can’t get through/enjoy the school work then my plans are kinda dead in the water even with clinical experience. Thanks again for the advice.

1 Like

Agree with @wildgm about getting exposure to medicine and doing it for the right reasons. Exposure can be shadowing, volunteering, or working in a paid position. You just need to demonstrate that you understand the field and can articulate “why medicine”? On a personal note, as someone who was in a relationship with someone who hated the field and went to med school for the wrong reasons, definitely make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.