Post bacc schedule

Hi All, I’m starting my DIY post-bacc at Portland State this June and was curious what your thoughts were about my schedule?? I’m 24 and have 3.86 cGPA. Been out of school for 2 years working as a rehabilitation aide in a large urban hospital. I’ve already taken (on semester system at previous university) Bio I, Physics I, Stats, several English courses, many psychology and humanities as well as human A & P. I’m applying to do volunteer research in the emergency department, hopefully they’ll accept me:) Here’s the schedule I was looking at:

Summer 2012:

Accelerated Gen Chem series

Research/Intern

Fall 2012

Physics II

Orgo I

Bio

Research/Intern

Winter 2013

Orgo II

Genetics/Microbiology

Research/Intern

MCAT study (starting in January

Spring 2012

Orgo III

Research/Intern

MCAT Study

Take MCAT in April

Apply Apply Apply

Think that’s reasonable? I know that there are few classes on my schedule, so I’m considering adding a few more electives as well. I’m hoping to get all this done in the year, and am really shooting to get the MCAT done in April.

Thanks!

I am not too sure that Organic Chemistry II and Genetics are good to take in the intersession, and together. From the way folks speak of them, they are both Monsters in the first degree. But, with a 3.86, you are as capable as anybody of making it happen! Good Luck!

At Artman: PSU has a quarter system, so the Winter 2013 is a full quarter not a short,accelerated course. It also has a pretty good percentage of older students, and allows post-baccs to register for classes near the front of the pack instead of dead last.

Beethousand: Do they have Physics 2 (PH 202) in the fall quarter? I think you may have to wait till Winter quarter to take that course. Also, you will need physics 3 (PH 203) to complete the sequence, d/t the quarter format (instead of semesters).

A concern I have is that you have 3 courses with labs in your fall line up. I do not know that this is wise, especially if you are planning on putting much time at all into the research/intern position. To get the most out of the lab can require significantly more prep time than a 1 credit course might suggest.

Ochem and Genetics may or may not be monsters, depending on how your brain works. I enjoyed both, but am now battling with physics.

Also, if you need the PH 203 in the spring term, that leaves you taking two heavy courses and studying for the MCAT at the same time. You may find that you need to bump the MCAT further into the spring (May/June) to allow you to do well on all fronts, since your goal is not simply to complete the prereqs & MCAT, but to do well on them.

You are young enough(13 years younger than me) that if you do need to stretch out your timeline, it will not be detrimental. Look it over and see what will allow you to do your best.

Annette

• sevenwheels Said:
At Artman: PSU has a quarter system, so the Winter 2013 is a full quarter not a short,accelerated course. It also has a pretty good percentage of older students, and allows post-baccs to register for classes near the front of the pack instead of dead last.

Beethousand: Do they have Physics 2 (PH 202) in the fall quarter? I think you may have to wait till Winter quarter to take that course. Also, you will need physics 3 (PH 203) to complete the sequence, d/t the quarter format (instead of semesters).

A concern I have is that you have 3 courses with labs in your fall line up. I do not know that this is wise, especially if you are planning on putting much time at all into the research/intern position. To get the most out of the lab can require significantly more prep time than a 1 credit course might suggest.

Ochem and Genetics may or may not be monsters, depending on how your brain works. I enjoyed both, but am now battling with physics.

Also, if you need the PH 203 in the spring term, that leaves you taking two heavy courses and studying for the MCAT at the same time. You may find that you need to bump the MCAT further into the spring (May/June) to allow you to do well on all fronts, since your goal is not simply to complete the prereqs & MCAT, but to do well on them.

You are young enough(13 years younger than me) that if you do need to stretch out your timeline, it will not be detrimental. Look it over and see what will allow you to do your best.

Annette

Do you go to PSU? I'm excited to get started

Good point about physics this Fall, you're right it's probably not offered. I'm not sure how my credits will txr in and whether or not I'll have to take 2 quarters of physics or not. I wonder if it would be too much to take gen chem and physics this summer?? I'm guessing yes. Otherwise I'd have to do Winter/Spring.

The MCAT is the real wrench it seems. I'd really like to take the April MCAT, but I realize you shouldn't take it until you are absolutely ready. I'd rather not spend an extra year taking prereq classes, etc, but at the same time it seems very risky not to get everything right the first time. Plus, an extra year wouldn't hurt in order to build extracurriculars. So...hopefully I'll find out soon about the physics requirement.

The research position will take up about 6-10 hours of my week or so, mainly in the evenings.

I did well in my undergrad Human A & P, didn't much care for Physics, and liked my biology and intro chem course. So I'm ready to get to work. Thanks for the help

I’m taking my physics sequence (algebra based) at PSU, which is my last prereq before I take the MCAT this May.

The only summer course I’ve ever taken is O-chem lab, so I do not know how difficult it would be to take two major courses over the summer (I don’t think I’d try it, though).

Nice. Good luck on the MCAT! Any professors you recommend?

I’ve only taken physics at PSU, and my professor is leaving at the end of this quarter… I’ll know more about the replacement when I finish the next quarter with him in June. The other algebra based physics professor has been there quite some time, but I have no personal experience with him. I’ve heard some complaints re: “scattered” thoughts/lectures, but (again)I don’t have personal experience w/ him and sometimes do better with that style as I can follow the odd leaps from here to there better than some, as I do that myself. So basically, no good advice to give re: professors.

Good luck!