Post-bacc - UTD or NYU?

Am living in NYC at the moment doing a complete 180 from a career as an actor - have been accepted at the post-bacc programs at both NYU and the University of Texas @ Dallas. I plan on being a full time student and knocking out my pre-reqs in quick succession in hopes of applying for med school in the spring of '12.

Big difference, of course, is cost - Dallas is home and I could - ha! - move back in with my dad for a year and a half while attending UTD, drastically cutting down living expenses. Plus, tuition is about $6k a semester cheaper. I’ll be having to pay out-of-state, of course at UTD.

Anyone currently attending these two programs? Anyone feel that the increased cost would be justified at NYU? Thanks for your random tidbits of knowledge - am very glad I came across this site today!

• madoxford Said:
Am living in NYC at the moment doing a complete 180 from a career as an actor - have been accepted at the post-bacc programs at both NYU and the University of Texas @ Dallas. I plan on being a full time student and knocking out my pre-reqs in quick succession in hopes of applying for med school in the spring of '12.

Big difference, of course, is cost - Dallas is home and I could - ha! - move back in with my dad for a year and a half while attending UTD, drastically cutting down living expenses. Plus, tuition is about $6k a semester cheaper. I'll be having to pay out-of-state, of course at UTD.

Anyone currently attending these two programs? Anyone feel that the increased cost would be justified at NYU? Thanks for your random tidbits of knowledge - am very glad I came across this site today!

NYU has an older program, has some "rollover" perception of being good because NYU has a well-0ranked medical school, it may have more informal contacts, and probably would confer a slight overall advantage, add a little to that if you want to go into medical school in NYC or the Northeast in general.

However, the founder of OPM, oldmandave, did his undergrad at UT/Dallas (thopugh not the formal postbacc), would likely be advantageous to the Texas Medical schools (Texas has its own medical school application service for its schools, you ain't the lone star state for nothing) and has lower costs.

Overall, even as a new yorker, the tuition costs and the living costs of New York are probably not worth any possible benefit. In either case, your grades and MCAT will be much more of a factor in being accepted. And the the cutthroat new yorkers who attend NYU post-bacc, will make casting call seem like a supportive group therapy.

Glad you found us, keep us informed,

New York is magical.

That being said, I’d go back to Texas, if not to take advantage of the myriad in-state, renowned medical schools, then just to save on the (comparably enormous) cost of living.

You can always head back to the coast for med school, fingers crossed. :]

Good luck, no matter what you decide.

Gotta go along with Rich on this one. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks to you guys for your input. It’s amazing just how much having complete strangers agree with you sets you at ease. I love New York, but I think UTD really is the smart move here.

And now, on to the insanity - am registered for Chem I, Bio II (systems), Physics I & Behavioral Neuroscience. A certain expression involving “biting off” and “chewing” comes to mind…

• madoxford Said:
Thanks to you guys for your input. It's amazing just how much having complete strangers agree with you sets you at ease. I love New York, but I think UTD really is the smart move here.

And now, on to the insanity - am registered for Chem I, Bio II (systems), Physics I & Behavioral Neuroscience. A certain expression involving "biting off" and "chewing" comes to mind....

Well, as they say, break a leg, its show time!
  • madoxford Said:
...And now, on to the insanity - am registered for Chem I, Bio II (systems), Physics I & Behavioral Neuroscience. A certain expression involving "biting off" and "chewing" comes to mind....

Whoa there cowboy! I'm in over my head in Biochem right now but felt compelled to respond when I read your post above.

Chem I, Bio II, Physics I, AND Behavioral Neuroscience?

How long did you say you've been out of school? Heck even if you are in school. That is quite the heavy load to be picking up for one semester.

Trust me, coming from someone who got there in probably as abbbreviated a pre-med as it gets - take your time. Do well in the classes you do take and learn the material well. There really is no rush. Enjoy your pre-med prep and do it well.

Rule 4: Don’t Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Rule 5: Do Not Risk Bad Grades By Taking Too Much

• Dazed Said:
  • madoxford Said:
...And now, on to the insanity - am registered for Chem I, Bio II (systems), Physics I & Behavioral Neuroscience. A certain expression involving "biting off" and "chewing" comes to mind....

Whoa there cowboy! I'm in over my head in Biochem right now but felt compelled to respond when I read your post above.

Chem I, Bio II, Physics I, AND Behavioral Neuroscience?

How long did you say you've been out of school? Heck even if you are in school. That is quite the heavy load to be picking up for one semester.

Trust me, coming from someone who got there in probably as abbbreviated a pre-med as it gets - take your time. Do well in the classes you do take and learn the material well. There really is no rush. Enjoy your pre-med prep and do it well.

Oh, I’m not insane - I’m “registered” for these classes. Still planning on which to drop. If i get rid of the neuroscience, here’s what my basic path is gonna look like:

Summer’11

Chem II

Fall ‘11 - the seriousness begins

Bio I, O.Chem I, Statistics, A&P

Spring ‘12

<HPE process—pre-application&g t;

O.Chem II, Physics II, (Biochem I, Genetics, or Microbio)

Then the hard part is over, right? RIGHT?!?! sobs

• madoxford Said:
Here's what my basic path is gonna look like:

Fall ‘11 - the seriousness begins

Bio I, O.Chem I, Statistics, A&P

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend taking both A&P and Orgo in the same semester. Both are very tough classes that require tons of memorization. At the very least, understand the enormous time commitment involved in order to do well in each of those classes.

Just my 2 cents.

I took A&P, Orgo and microbiology in the same semester. It can be done, but academics need to be the part of this process that you are not trying to make up for. That being said, med schools need to see you be able to handle the academic work, but you need to shine. Just my 2 cents.

I took A&P, Orgo and microbiology in the same semester. It can be done, but academics need to be the part of this process that you are not trying to make up for. That being said, med schools need to see you be able to handle the academic work, but you need to shine. Just my 2 cents.