Post-bacc with linkage and/or other linkage programs

I can’t say that I’ve seen much mention of these type programs on OPM. Anyone other than me planning to go this route?

pathdr2b,

Check out Student Doctor Network’s post-bac forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f…

There is a lot of info about post-bac programs. There are few guaranteed linkages, however most seem to be for URMs or disadvantaged applicants.

• LateBloomer Said:
pathdr2b,

Check out Student Doctor Network's post-bac forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f...

There is a lot of info about post-bac programs. There are few guaranteed linkages, however most seem to be for URMs or disadvantaged applicants.

Thanks for the info, but I don't post there and not just because my user names were banned (although this is easy enough to circumvent). I'm just a tad too outspoken (which got me banned) but more than that, I like supportive environments like OPM!!

While I'm on this subject, in just talking to other older premed students, they seem to tend to go DO rather than post-bacc w/linkage to an MD program.

pathdr2b,

Wow, banned. That is harsh. Where are you in this whole process? Do you have any pre-reqs?

• LateBloomer Said:
pathdr2b,

Wow, banned. That is harsh. Where are you in this whole process? Do you have any pre-reqs?

So was how I "went off", but it's all good.

In the interest of time, I'm going to have to refer you to my blog for details on where I am. Short version, I have one foot in medical school and the other on a bananna peel!

pathdr2b,

Good luck with your application! Not to be nosy, but is it G’town? I am totally struggling with the DO/smp to MD issue. I obviously don’t have the stamina you do for this process and would be grateful as all get-out to go to DO school. My interest lies in emergency medicine, so DO will be just fine for me.

• LateBloomer Said:
pathdr2b,

Good luck with your application! Not to be nosy, but is it G'town? I am totally struggling with the DO/smp to MD issue. I obviously don't have the stamina you do for this process and would be grateful as all get-out to go to DO school. My interest lies in emergency medicine, so DO will be just fine for me.

I've either got a case of stamina, stubborness, or stupidity (or all three, lol!!). But I'm feeling pretty good about this finally being MY time to fulfill a 37 year old dream!

As for schools I'm looking at, there are about 6 formal/informal post-bacc w/linkage programs withon 30 or so miles of metro DC. Having said that, I'm staying mum on schools until I get an acceptance in hand and DC lifts their ban on carrying concealed weapons in your car. Talking smack on the net can have it's drawbacks and in this crazy world, you can neever be too safe, lol!

I do have to say that if there were a DO school nearby, that would definitely be a co-top choice with ANY MD program in the area.

Aye, I’m thinking of two in particular.

and DC lifts their ban on carrying concealed weapons in your car

LOL, according to the news this morning you may get your way…

• LateBloomer Said:
and DC lifts their ban on carrying concealed weapons in your car

LOL, according to the news this morning you may get your way...

But if I stay in Maryland or take a trip down to good ol Va ('cause I'm down with commuting!), the ban lifting won't matter!
  • pathdr2b Said:
[Short version, I have one foot in medical school and the other on a bananna peel!

Looks like the bananna peel has won round one, LOL!!

I was rejected from one particular program which is just as well since I found out that my medical school classes taken on the medical school grading scale can't be used for my MS degree. In other words, I'm 8 credits short and won't finish until Fall 2009.

I did want to give a general warning to nontrads applying to post bacc programs with advanced degrees. I was told by the person with the deciding vote that no one was convinced I needed the program because I had already proven myself academically. Now I have an answer to my original question as to why some nontrads don't go this route since quite a few I know have advanced degrees. Many years of experience in the medical field doing different but related jobs, was also mentioned about 4 times. I translated this to mean I was too old for the program, but maybe I'm being sensitive.

Simply put, it's obviously time for me to $hit of get off the pot, so AMCAS class of 2010, here I come!