Post-Baccs at Night NYC Area

Hi Everyone!

I am new here, but have been keeping up on the posts for a while now.

I was a teacher for a few years. I decided to quit to do a post-bacc. at Stony Brook, but put it off to teach for another year due to money matters. Now, I have am determined to get my courses completed and go to Med. school. My problem is that I want to work at my new 9-5; however, I can’t seem to find a school (state school) that has pre-med courses after 5.

I’ve looked at the course schedules for the summer for Hunter, and CCNY. Everything is smack in the middle of the day. I looked into Purchase, but an employee told me that it is difficult for a 9-5er to get night classes there.

Does anyone know of any in the city/Westchester area?

Thanks.

Nothing?

City College and Hunter both have a large selection of evening courses and a big group of students in your/our shoes. I am at CCNY and recommend it highly. The night selection at CCNY for this summer is pretty lean–physics and calculus only–but during the year, I’ve had no trouble after the first semester. (New students register last.)

SC

SUNY @ Old Westbury was starting to have some in the evening with the intention of setting up a complete cycle of them. I took my last physics lab there one night a week. I dont know how far it got after 2006

Hi there,

I too was looking for a state school - preferably at night. After recent cutbacks from NY state, however, I decided that I’d apply to Columbia, despite the steep price tag. The reason was that I heard numerous students were cut out of taking classes at CUNY, thus, you could end up having to take Bio II before Bio I, or taking longer to finish the program.

I know lots of folks on here have had great experiences at CUNY, and have taken all the classes at night. I don;t mean to discount those experiences. But I personally like structure, and after checking out all three, I found that the supports at Columbia for the individual student were much stronger. So I am shelling out about 4 times as much money. But my hope is that this will expedite the process, and help me get better grades.

Furthermore, Columbia has great admission stats to medical school - 90%, which is double that of other schools.

Having started this semester I have no regrets. Each student has a dean that is dedicated solely to advising and running the premed program. There is guaranteed free tutoring, many TAs great facilities and a very structured nurturing environment. And you can take all their classes in the evenings.

I am sure other CUNY students will balance this point of view with their own positive experiences, but I would strongly encourage you to even consider columbia.

Oh, if one can afford it, of course look at Columbia. But if money is a consideration, I (after spending my undergrad in New Haven, home of delicious restaurants at 2/3 the price of NYC) do not think that the difference in academic quality and everything else is even remotely worth the premium.

As an aside, is the postbac at Columbia general studies or Columbia college? Bite my elitist head off, but yes, one’s classmates in CC will be a pretty smart and driven group. In GS you will get from excellent to just OK, same as at CUNY.

sc

I am currently a postbac at Columbia and wanted to add my own two cents. It is possible to take night classes in the postbac program at Columbia. Many postbacs work 9 to 5 and take their courses in the evening. Here is the link to the information on the website regarding this part-time sequence: http://www.gs.columbia.edu/postbac/part-time-pro gr…

As they say, it is possible to work a full-time job through your third summer in the program. I know many students following this sequence and, although it is a lot of work, it is very doable.

Also, the Columbia program is through the School of General Studies but we take our classes at Columbia College. Therefore, we are in the same classes as the undergraduates. Apparently, though, the postbacs actually often “set the curve” as most of us are pretty driven. We are all very aware that we are spending our own money (and a lot of it!) and, more importantly, have a strong sense of our purpose and goals of attending medical/dental school at this point in our lives.

kf