Post Interview Anxiety

Allright, so I had my first and maybe only interview yesterday. Now, I am going through this crazy “did I say something stupid, or insult someone, or answert he questions wrong, or should I not of mentioned certain things?” monolugue in my head. IS this what everyone goes through or am I just being super self conscious? Plus, the Dean essntially told us …we interview about 500 people for 72 spots…don’t expect a decision for a long time, like April. How do I wait that long? Any one else going through this post interview paranoia?
Marcia

HEHE! Sounds like ECU. We got the same spiel. Don’t feel bad if you don’t hear anything from them for months. It’s not you, it’s how they do it. They told us that 75% of their class were re-applicants from previous years.
Have you applied to UNC, Duke or Wake Forest? How’s that going? I attend UNC (2008), so let me know if you have any questions.
DRD

Quote:

Allright, so I had my first and maybe only interview yesterday. Now, I am going through this crazy “did I say something stupid, or insult someone, or answert he questions wrong, or should I not of mentioned certain things?” monolugue in my head. IS this what everyone goes through or am I just being super self conscious? Plus, the Dean essntially told us …we interview about 500 people for 72 spots…don’t expect a decision for a long time, like April. How do I wait that long? Any one else going through this post interview paranoia?
Marcia

Everyone feels that way! Try not to worry. If you care about the impression you made, then chances are very high you made a good one.

drd,
Yes it was ECU! Good Guess. I have been rejected by WF. I have not heard from Duke or UNC yet. I am pretty sure that Duke will reject me (not interested in research) but I am really really hoping for an interview at UNC.
Marcia

I’m right there with you. As the days go by, my BP rises.
question: Are schools finishing interview cycles? I’m guessing that if I haven’t heard yet, it’s getting way late at most places.

The Dean at ECU told me that theyhave only sent out 18 offers so far. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that most schools have gone through Early Decision and the first few rounds of applicants, but that most of them are going to be sending out letters in Jan/Feb. I had a bunch of letters, etc up to T-day and then nothing fo rthe last few weeks. I suspect it will pick back up after the new year.
Marcia

There definitely tends to be a lull during the holidays. Not that I dwell on it, but Dartmouth appears to be running them through right now, but I do recall that slowing down over Christmas/New Year’s last year. School’s all employ differing methods of sorting through their stack of applications - some reserve alloting slots until late, some a multiple defined points & others by a rolling process. So, first & foremost - R E L A X! Second, arm yourself with knowledge & call to ask them how their admissions process sequences & follow up on your app at the same time. Ask them if there is anything they need or can they prophesize on when a decison might be made. Don’t make yourself a pest, but it is usually acceptable & can appear quite professional for follow-up inquiries…shows that you have a vested interest in their program.
As a resident, watching all the med school interviewees parade by in their black/charcoal attire brings back some fond & not to fond memories. Many of them have a look of fear & apprehension on their faces, others reek of “please pick me”, some clueless & still others appear poised & confident - do your best on these interview days to appear in the latter group.

I felt absolutely wretched after my interview with LECOM-B… but they took me… so I guess it wasn’t that bad…
I think the first interview is the worst… not only are you more likely to say something stupid, because you’ve never done it before… but you’re incredibly nervous…
chances are it’s not as bad as you think it is…
good luck, and keep us posted.
Andrea

I just got into a school where I had what seemed like a TERRIBLE interview. The interviewer was an older male neurologist who interupted every sentence I started. I got pretty flustered and by the end was just concentrating on not offending him. Then he asked me if I had any questions, and stupid me, I blurted out, “Are there many study abroad programs or overseas rotations?” Ok, that’s a fine question for asking students and even most faculty interviewers, but this guy was so old school I should have known it was a bad idea. He then yelled at me! He said he was outraged at the amount of “diversions” that students now indulge in, and went on to talk about how medical education is going down the drain, what with Power Points and computers taking over. What I did next was try to ask him questions about how students today could get the most out of their education, even in these trying times. I really tried to emphasize how I could identify with the old school outlook. It was all damage control and it was not the best conversation of my life.
I had given up on that school too, but in the end I got in! So don’t read too much into the interviews.
Ok, I’m hoping the holiday lull theory is the explanation for why I have heard zilch from certain schools where I’ve been complete for ages…

To answer the question…Are interviews winding down? No way. For instance, Stanford, a school I seem to keep having close connections with (am currently spending time each week as an undergrad premed advisor) just began interviewing about Dec. 1st. They’ll be inviting folks for interviews for quite a while yet. The interview season really does go clear through spring for many many med schools. Hang in there.
Cheers,
Judy

My interview at Iowa was AWFUL. I interviewed in November and didn’t get an acceptance until May. Hang in there. Don’t let the anxiety eat you up. The wait is hard, but worth it.
Take care!

Well, I got waitlisted at a school that hopes to have their class filled by Jan 1, and offers acceptances to 200/450 interviewees. Big Bad Bummer. However, and I NEVER would have believed this, I am not heading for the first bridge to jump off. I was upset, naturally, but if I don’t get into med school it isn’t the end of the road. I must tell you that the day before the waitlist letter, I never would have believed that. Of course I’ll reapply, do everything I can, etc, but I can’t believe I’m not heading for the suicide hotline!
Other apps are still out, but I’m an “edge” applicant so I don’t have much hope for this year.
Schools may interview into spring, but I assume they make the phone calls about a month in advance–so if I haven’t heard, I’m gunning for February interviews at this point, right?

not necessarily… I received a couple of notices about 2 weeks in advance… some wanted me to come sooner… so I think it depends on the school…
Good luck and keep us posted on what is happening.
Andrea

bjg, remember: while a school may want to “have their class filled by Jan. 1,” if it’s an allopathic school candidates have until May 15 to accept the acceptance. No school’s roster is set until sometime during the summer.
If waitlists didn’t work to put people into medical school, they wouldn’t exist. Your chance of getting an acceptance off the waitlist depends on the school and how it works, but you definitely have a chance. If it’s the school you really want to go to, make sure they know that.
It’s not too late to get off the waitlist until after classes start in August 2005. I know of two OPMs whose waitlist acceptances were really late - one a week before classes began, the other the DAY before classes began.
Yes, you do need to give some thought to the re-application process but don’t give up. OPMs who’ve been around since the beginning probably still talk about how I whined and complained about my waitlist hell - from October 20 or so until the following May 18… not that I remember the exact time sequence or anything
So think positive!
Mary