Potentially controversial personal statement

Hello everyone! I have a very weird question.

So I’m figuring out my personal statement and I know admissions wants to see what things in your life led you to becoming a physician.

At risk of starting a debate (which is NOT my intention), the thing that solidified not only my desire and need to be a physician but also advocacy for women’s healthcare was when I terminated my pregnancy a few years ago.

I have such a passion for womens health (not just reproductive health) that I want to talk about it but not at the risk of having my app thrown out. Any advice or input?

If it’s your story, it’s your story. I wouldn’t apply to conservative schools like Liberty University, but there are definitely places that won’t see termination as an issue.

2 Likes

Definitely don’t apply to Liberty - I do NOT apply there as someone who is lesbian and pro-choice (and had a bi-salp as I do not want children!). However, I agree that you should share your story if it is meaningful to you. We need doctors who are passionate about women’s health (reproductive and otherwise)!

1 Like