pre-med advisor was very dismissive today

ok, so i went to the pre-med advisor at the university where i’m taking my final 3 prerequisites. i told her straight from the get-go, “i’m 51 years old, etc. etc.” she said that i should call the medical school admissions at the only med school in my area and ask if i would be “TAKEN SERIOUSLY” if i applied. she also reminded me that i would be 53 before actually beginning med school and 57 when i graduated and 60 when i finish residency. she was completely discouraging and said that i would be competing with people of a much higher energy level. i told her that i have been a fitness instructor for over 20 years and that i have tons of energy. she said that was “GOOD,” but that wouldn’t prove anything to the admissions committee. she also said that she doesn’t know of anyone who was accepted into med school after age 50. long story short, she encouraged me to look into PA school or optometry school.

i had planned to retake organic I this fall (already enrolled) since i’ve forgotten my organic from my undergrad years, as well as microbiology. school starts on monday. wow, people are very negative. maybe i’m in denial.

I think we have someone on site who didn’t get to med school until their fifties. And a few who didn’t start residency until then. Hopefully they will chime in for you. I would feel discouraged after that, but it would probably make we want to prove them wrong. Good luck.

Hi Shelia,

There are people who you work with and those who you need to work around. Sounds like you need to work around her.

The med school(s) won’t have a chance to take you seriously if you do not apply.

I think you will need to have a strong inner vision of what you want and to carry it, keep it, and protect it. What matters is that you and your family have the vision and believe in it. There will likely be many moments and encounters that may weaken your resolve, if you allow it.

Right now you are enrolled in a few classes…take advantage of this place you are right now-enjoy your classes, learn from them. Thats all you have to do right now.

Hello Sheilla

To some, your endeavour might seem daring, to others inspiring, to others bold, to others eccentric, to others unrealistic, and on and on.

Lets not kid ourselves, going to medical school in your fifties is … different, to say the least.

In your journey preparing for and going through medical school, you are at an early stage of meeting very many people, co-students, colleagues, professors, health-care workers, and patients. It is probably wise that you ready yourself for a wide array of reactions when the people you interact with find out about your history/aspirations.

I’m 54, and starting 3rd year shortly. I will be meeting a new group of professors then. I’m readying to retell my story with as much jubilation as the first time I told it, all over again. Most will be accepting, though surprised. I may run into the odd person who raises a ‘suspicious’ eyebrow, or makes an unwarranted comment. (Flash back of a professor who writes the following in assessing my development: Ron is very mature.)

Many around me have found inspiration in seeing a 50+ year-old going back to university.

Appologies if my thoughts are somewhat meandering, it’s still quite early in the morning. But, I’m sure you understand the picture I am sharing with you. Reactions to your aspirations will be varied, and that is to be expected. I’ve not let myself get side-tracked by the occasional ‘odd-comment’, and I’m sure you can avoid these bumps in your road as well.

Ron

Sheila,

Don’t let her get you down. She just doesn’t understand. And you won’t be the first or the only person to go to med school at your age. You’re non-traditional, for sure. And it looks a little crazy to some people. But you want to learn and feel that you have gifts to share.

…Tune her out. Tune in the positive thoughts of Ron and others who are doing it.

-G

• shegigi Said:
ok, so i went to the pre-med advisor at the university where i'm taking my final 3 prerequisites. i told her straight from the get-go, "i'm 51 years old, etc. etc." she said that i should call the medical school admissions at the only med school in my area and ask if i would be "TAKEN SERIOUSLY" if i applied. she also reminded me that i would be 53 before actually beginning med school and 57 when i graduated and 60 when i finish residency. she was completely discouraging and said that i would be competing with people of a much higher energy level. i told her that i have been a fitness instructor for over 20 years and that i have tons of energy. she said that was "GOOD," but that wouldn't prove anything to the admissions committee. she also said that she doesn't know of anyone who was accepted into med school after age 50. long story short, she encouraged me to look into PA school or optometry school.

i had planned to retake organic I this fall (already enrolled) since i've forgotten my organic from my undergrad years, as well as microbiology. school starts on monday. wow, people are very negative. maybe i'm in denial.

I think pre-med advisors at most universities are just like this in general. They're used to young, traditional college students so when someone who doesn't fit that profile sees them in an appointment it kind of throws a wrench in their wheels as far as advice goes. I wouldn't take her words too seriously...I had a similar experience with my first pre-med advisor at UC Davis, and although I've since met with one who was a little more helpful, I never thought twice about what that first one said. Heck, I don't even remember what she said in the first place.

I wrote the below just the other day but it is worth repeating

One of the OPM members graduated at 54 and just started her family practice residency this year. I know of a 57 year old retired female police officer who went to yale and the “famous” retired court judge who went to medical school at the ripe old age of 62.

There is nothing you can do to change your aging and therefore if you want this for yourself, then simply ignore completely any question, concern, or issue with age. there is nothing you can do about it expect waste time, energy and resources worrying about something you can’t change

Don’t let the dismissive attitudes of advisors dissuade you from pursuing what you want. Just keep working at it bit by bit; very rarely are things smooth sailing, although it is often rougher sailing for some than for others. Keep trying, keep trying.

Who cares about what she thinks!!! Go 4 it, !!! LOL

I am laughing with you at hearing you’ve been a FITNESS INSTRUCTOR for 20 YEARS. Yeah, I guess you know a thing or two about endurance and stamina. You think?

A bit of harmless innuendo in the name of cheering you up–my partner is 30 years older than me. People always assume that our “personal life” suffers. No, I tell them, that stuff is fine, thank God…the PROBLEM is that he’s nuts. Joking aside, though, a person’s obstacles are what they are quite independently of age–attention span, competing demands, money, whatever it may be–if only age was your/our biggest worry!

Check out the “acceptance at age 50” thread below. Good luck!

SC

I know this is an old thread, but I would say don’t let naysayers tell you what is possible for you. Only you can make that decision. True, admissions people are the gatekeepers to medical school, and most are relatively old-fashioned in their ideas about who is qualified to matriculate into medical school. Like much of the rest of society, they are, for the most part, seem to fixated on the idea that medical school is rigorous and therefore only young (teens through early 30’s) early-deciders are fit for medical school. Of all the professional schools, medical schools (and maybe dental schools) are unique in this perspective.