Pre-med Conference presented by U of MN Med School

Business attire, right?

Keynote speaker - Director Admissions Med School, et al

I would most certainly…If nothing else, you will look as a more serious candidate than the individual who dresses casual…

I went to one in Feb., and yes, I wore business attire. The official dress code was business casual (which is cargo pants & sneaks for the college set), but trust me, I felt a lot better having a long chat with the rural medicine speaker in business clothes than I would have in casual clothes.

I went to pre-med day a couple years ago at the UofM and business attire is really not necessary. The entire thing is about 4-5 hours long including a tour of the medical school. Dress comfortably, nice jeans and top will do fine. Its a huge campus and medical center, so comfortable shoes are necessary. You obviously don’t want to look like you rolled out of bed.

Attire aside, it was an amazing session! You’ll meet the members from the medical school’s admission board, current medical students at all levels, pre-med counselors, etc. You’ll go home with a ton of information too! Enjoy!

• SomedayDrAnderson Said:
I went to pre-med day a couple years ago at the UofM and business attire is really not necessary.

I vehemently disagree with this statement for a number of reasons but mainly this one. If I were an Adcom deciding between 2 applicants, who to award the last seat in a class to, I'm going to pick the one that took this process seriously enough to dress the part.

I see your your point, however, it is by no means an interview, it is only an information session for current and prospective pre-med students. Adcoms will be there to offer information, advice and insight, not conduct interviews.

• SomedayDrAnderson Said:
I see your your point, however, it is by no means an interview, it is only an information session for current and prospective pre-med students. Adcoms will be there to offer information, advice and insight, not conduct interviews.

EVERY interaction with a person whose in a position to influence your future is an "interview".

If you don't believe, try farting during your conversation and see how far that gets you, lol!!

I wore a suit as was my preference.

Would have done it no other way and would suggest if anyone else is going to go to one of these things to do the same. ESPECIALLY, if you are going to meet the adcom members.

I did meet two of the physician adcom members and made sure they knew my “5 minute elevator speech as to why AND my name.”

In addition, I met the asst dir of admissions, MS4s, MS1s, and two students who sit on the adcom. ALL of them said, “Please apply here. You are an awesome candidate” including the co-chair of the adcom.

I agree that if someone is going to be the nebulous student sitting in the 10th row and not take THAT opportunity to introduce yourself, wear jeans. Many did. However, if you are going to take the opportunity to start circulating your name and your story, WEAR A SUIT!

OMG - my smile could not be any brighter, my internal drive more amp’d up, my hope more enhanced, or my passion more stoked.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback!

the adcom, med students’, and others’ feedback and encouragement to apply does NOT mean that I “think” I will be accepted. It just reinforced my hope that my age will NOT be the only factor considered and there is hope I can attend there.

I have to agree that to present yourself in a more professional way, business attire would be the best choice. I always remember those individuals that were dressed for the ocassion…

As the saying goes: you only get once to make a first impression so make it count.

• gabelerman Said:
As the saying goes: you only get once to make a first impression so make it count.

Not trying to negatively single out any one generation but I think this issue of how to dress in situations like these is largely generational. For example, I took a stroll down the hallway at a medical school where pictures of graduating classes are hung and it went from the women wearing heels at graduation in the 80's to flip flops in the 00's. I noticed the same trend at Hopkins a few yeasr back as well.

I'm of the opinion that some things should never change with the times. I'm not saying we should revert back to women wearing gloves and petticoats at special occasions, but flip flops? That's just tacky!